• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best deer Caliber choice

Best deer rifle cartridges if you had to pick just one.

• 30-30

• 30-06

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• 6.5 Grendel

• 7mm

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was talking to a friend yesterday who built a 6.5 Creedmoor and then recently sold it because he shot two deer and could not find them.
I asked a friend who has a dog who tracks deer and I asked him a lot of questions last night. One of the questions is what round have you had to track the most deer. This year its been the 6.5.
I dont blame the round. Ive been trying to figure out why. I dont know if there are that many folks using the 6.5. Maybe its newer shooters choosing the 6.5 and not being efficient enough to make the shot. Maybe its folks who are smarter with their shots in smaller calibers think they are stepping up and just letting her rip because they have a new gun. Maybe the bullet is just too fast at the short distances we are shooting them at. Most of the ones Ive heard run off were less than a 100 and often 50-75.
Im intrigued by the round. Just find that this conversation has been brought up several times in the past day or so.
Lung shot deer often run 50-75 yards, not uncommon. You want them anchored, sever the spinal chord with a neck or high shoulder shot. Just a theory, the 6.5 Creedmoor has been very popular and offers up a lot of match grade ammo right on the shelf if you can find it in the store. The problem being, most match ammo is loaded with bullets that make for a terrible choice for hunting. Since many people don't even bother to research or pay attention to such things, I would bet many deer are being shot with this ammo lending to the wounding or long tracking jobs. Just my guess. Bullets matter way more than headstamps!

Mine are, in no particular order:

257 Roberts
7x57 Mauser
6.5 Grendel

Well, I suppose .41 Mag and .45 Colt should also be added to the list, as I also handgun hunt a lot.

Back
Top Bottom