• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best deer Caliber choice

Best deer rifle cartridges if you had to pick just one.

• 30-30

• 30-06

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• 6.5 Grendel

• 7mm

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can tell by the answers that nobody here really knows what the reference to "7 mm" is.

Some people think 7 mm Remington Magnum ( which would be my guess) but it could just as well be the 7mm-08 Remington. Personally I think the best deer rifle round for the southeast USA is the 7 x 57 Mauser! It's got lighter recoil than many of the others but still has a good ballistic coefficient and can reach out to 500+ yards.

I'd take .30-30 off the list and be happy with any of the others.

Why not the .30-30 ?
Because I'd like to be able to put this "perfect deer rifle cartridge" into an accurate rifle with a good magnifying scope and (assuming I have a very steady rest and almost no wind) take a long range shot maybe out to 350 yards.

The rainbow trajectory and low kinetic energy of the 3030 that far out means it Hass to come off my list.

I am sorry but what kinda deer are you shooting with a 300 Win. Mag.. way to much gun for a deer. Unless you are shooting a Muley at 600 yards.
Shooting whitetail at 600 yards….
4E3BDD9F-596E-4619-A444-9DDBE8666C7C.jpeg

The reason I made this poll is I typically use a 30-30 for many reasons but most importantly that I shoot within 200 yards and it was my grandfathers rifle that he passed down to me.(He taught me to hunt). I switched to a 6.5 Creedmoor for thanksgiving weekend and hit a slob of a buck perfect dead in the shoulder broadside at 50 to 75 yds. Clean entrance and exit wound. He ran 100 yds. I've never had a deer run more then 25-30 yds. It was Winchester Deer season xp 125 grain. Also, I like polls as it opens up discussions and could help a new hunter. I couldn't add all calibers so I did a google top 10 search. The 7mm I left open to interpretation. I might take the results and comments and do a second follow up poll. Some of the calibers people have mentioned is harder to find quality loads in todays market so left them out.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who built a 6.5 Creedmoor and then recently sold it because he shot two deer and could not find them.
I asked a friend who has a dog who tracks deer and I asked him a lot of questions last night. One of the questions is what round have you had to track the most deer. This year its been the 6.5.
I dont blame the round. Ive been trying to figure out why. I dont know if there are that many folks using the 6.5. Maybe its newer shooters choosing the 6.5 and not being efficient enough to make the shot. Maybe its folks who are smarter with their shots in smaller calibers think they are stepping up and just letting her rip because they have a new gun. Maybe the bullet is just too fast at the short distances we are shooting them at. Most of the ones Ive heard run off were less than a 100 and often 50-75.
Im intrigued by the round. Just find that this conversation has been brought up several times in the past day or so.

Back
Top Bottom