Best crossbow for $500

bilgerat

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
55   0
Reaction score
well the time has come . I sold the Hoyt and now Im in the market for a good cross bow for around $500. what should I be looking for and what should avoid?

Either the Barnett ghost 410 or the Barnett vengeance I will sell you for 400-450 with a bunch of accessories. Broadheads and all. All brand new except the bow itself which neither bow has fired more than 20 arrows. I just have 4 crossbows and hate to see them gathering dust. I have a ghost 385 I always end up taking just because it’s a little shorter than the 410 and has a crank

Excalibur.
My buddy had a ten point and Barnett blow up on him.

The Barnett blew up twice and the second time after a shop installed a new string.

Just go Excalibur and never look at any other junk.

HHa this is for the new guys contemplating the same mistake.

Excalibur.
My buddy had a ten point and Barnett blow up on him.

The Barnett blew up twice and the second time after a shop installed a new string.

Just go Excalibur and never look at any other junk.

HHa this is for the new guys contemplating the same mistake.
i would go raven if i had unlimited budget

I’ve owned 7 Barnett bows and a couple tenpoints and never had a problem. Currently have 3, the ghost 410, the ghost 385, and the vengeance. Normally if they blow up its operator error, or using the wrong arrows, or nock. Like those carbon express nocks thay have caused many crossbows to blow regardless of brand. Or if it’s been fired a bunch and the spring arm that holds the arrow in place is worn out and you tilt the bow down before firing it creates a gap between the string and the nock. That gap is essentially dry firing it. And any crossbow will blow if dryfired. Same thing will happen if the wrong diameter arrows are used. Honestly I’ve shot the Excalibur bows and I wouldn’t own one. In my opinion the issue with accuracy as a result of cocking is enough to put me off. If your cocking in a hurry and one side of the bow can end up under more tention than the other and cause you to miss. But that’s pretty much any recurve crossbow but isn’t as big an issue with the compound bows..

I’ve seen two beretta shotguns that had blown up barrels. But that wouldn’t stop me from owning a beretta shotgun. Just want to find out what the owners of those two shotguns did and make sure I avoid the same mistake. I’m not by no means saying that Excalibur is a crap bow or that products from any company don’t ever have issues that are a result of a flaw in the individual bow. But Barnett and ten point make quality bows in my opinion. But it’s like anything you get what you pay for if you buy there 200$ now you get 200$ quality. They just happen to manufacture bows in price ranges so even the bow hunter that’s on a limited budget can afford.

Anyway just my 2¢ on the subject having owned a Barnett bow without issue for going on 12 years now. Not meant to offend anyone or to debate the bow elitists that fill if it isn’t from one of the companies they feel are “elite” bow manufacturers then it’s garbage. Not trying to reach the people that have been shooting for long enough to form their own opinions. Just the guys looking to get into archery and are taking in all the different opinions and experiences to make a decision on what bow to buy.

I’ve owned 7 Barnett bows and a couple tenpoints and never had a problem. Currently have 3, the ghost 410, the ghost 385, and the vengeance. Normally if they blow up its operator error, or using the wrong arrows, or nock. Like those carbon express nocks thay have caused many crossbows to blow regardless of brand. Or if it’s been fired a bunch and the spring arm that holds the arrow in place is worn out and you tilt the bow down before firing it creates a gap between the string and the nock. That gap is essentially dry firing it. And any crossbow will blow if dryfired. Same thing will happen if the wrong diameter arrows are used. Honestly I’ve shot the Excalibur bows and I wouldn’t own one. In my opinion the issue with accuracy as a result of cocking is enough to put me off. If your cocking in a hurry and one side of the bow can end up under more tention than the other and cause you to miss. But that’s pretty much any recurve crossbow but isn’t as big an issue with the compound bows..

I’ve seen two beretta shotguns that had blown up barrels. But that wouldn’t stop me from owning a beretta shotgun. Just want to find out what the owners of those two shotguns did and make sure I avoid the same mistake. I’m not by no means saying that Excalibur is a crap bow or that products from any company don’t ever have issues that are a result of a flaw in the individual bow. But Barnett and ten point make quality bows in my opinion. But it’s like anything you get what you pay for if you buy there 200$ now you get 200$ quality. They just happen to manufacture bows in price ranges so even the bow hunter that’s on a limited budget can afford.

Anyway just my 2¢ on the subject having owned a Barnett bow without issue for going on 12 years now. Not meant to offend anyone or to debate the bow elitists that fill if it isn’t from one of the companies they feel are “elite” bow manufacturers then it’s garbage. Not trying to reach the people that have been shooting for long enough to form their own opinions. Just the guys looking to get into archery and are taking in all the different opinions and experiences to make a decision on what bow to buy.

You just mentioned why Barnett’s blow up.
Excaliburs don’t.
I’ve dry fired
My Excalibur mistakenly once and it did not blow up.
It shot fine afterwards.
I dropped it from a tree upside down from 30’ and it had zero damage and shot dead on.
I’ve never had any accuracy issues with two Excaliburs I’ve owned.
It’s pretty darn near impossible to get the cocking string misaligned during cocking thus causing one limb to be tighter than the other.
I’m speaking from personal experience and not from what I read so others may have had issues, I haven’t.

Granted the ten point is an awesome crossbow just expensive to repair.

My buddy’s issues with his Barnett really has him discouraged with it especially after being restringed and tuned at a reputable bow shop then blowing up again first shot right in front of the shop owner.

He’s going with the Excalibur for the reliability and simplicity because he’s tired of getting burned.
He may do fine with another Barnett but he doesn’t trust the brand now.

Back
Top Bottom