Best book of survival tips?

The military SERE manual is awesome. All four services use the same one.

Title: Survival, Evasion, and Recovery

Sub-title: Multi-Service Procedures for Survival, Evasion, and Recovery

Pub #: FM 3-50.3 (Army)
NTTP 3-50.3 (USN/USMC)
AFTTP(I) 3-2.26 (AF)

I kept mine from when I went to SERE and I peruse it from time to time. I'm sure if you google it you can find it to download.

Dad have me an old book from the 70s titled Bushcraft- describes and illustrates how to build everything from snares to shelters. It also touches on edible plants, what to use to bait traps, animal tracks, etc.

Not an all inclusive book, but really good info- especially the illustrations.

Ok- tonight I remembered about the book- it's by Richard Graves. Dad signed and dated the inside cover October 1973... Here it is:

i578.photobucket.com_albums_ss225_dial1911_2012_03_23_22_10_04_682.jpg

No color photos, but all good info and some good illustrations. I don't know if this is the end all be all book, I haven't read that many. But this one taught me some good ideas and lots of stuff I hadn't thought of before.

SAS Survival Guide by Lofty Wiseman is a good basic book. You can get a pack friendly condensed version. The Petersen's Field Guide to Wild and Edible Plants: Eastern and Central North America, the Tom Brown Series, plus all of the recommendations that the other members have made, especially the Wilderness Medicine book recommended by Chris Mac.
Short of joining the army getting through basic/AIT/Jump school maybe ranger school and completing the Q course, This book is awesome and there is an iPhone app for it as well

Back
Top Bottom