Best book of survival tips?

Try the Foxfire series of books. Not really about "Survivalists" but more like existing in the Appalachian Mountains...righteous.

With nearly 9 million copies in print, The Foxfire Book and its eleven companion volumes stand memorial to the people and the vanishing culture of the Southern Appalachian Mountains, brought to life for readers through the words of those who were born, lived their lives, and passed away there-words collected by high school students who wanted to be a part of their community and preserve their heritage. All 12 volumes in the regular series are anthologies of Foxfire Magazine articles written by Rabun County high school students over the magazine's 40-year history, usually expanded through follow-up interviews and other research.

Sometimes it's better to separate out your books by topic and then list favorites. "Do it all" books cover a whole lot of stuff, but out of necessity it's going to be limited. If you have the budget, selectively buy the books by topic. Ebay is a great source for used books.

For instance, on medical stuff, I really like Wilderness and Survial Medicine by Breen and Ellis. And then there is The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine.

Another thing you can do is order a searchable CD of the entire history of Survivalblog.com. There are some really good articles posted on there by some very smart people. For example, do a search on "chickens" and you are going to see a large number of posts by people who actually raise, care for and butcher chickens. Radios? It's on there. Even doctors and dentists post. Firearms reviews, etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Best survival tip I ever got... "out of sight, out of mind".

Chris Mac is pretty much right, you are going to end up with multiple sources to get the best info.
Be prepared to do a lot of reading, take notes on things you feel will work best for you, and practice them ahead of time.

SAS Survival Guide by Lofty Wiseman is a good basic book. You can get a pack friendly condensed version. The Petersen's Field Guide to Wild and Edible Plants: Eastern and Central North America, the Tom Brown Series, plus all of the recommendations that the other members have made, especially the Wilderness Medicine book recommended by Chris Mac.

Try the Foxfire series of books. Not really about "Survivalists" but more like existing in the Appalachian Mountains...righteous.

With nearly 9 million copies in print, The Foxfire Book and its eleven companion volumes stand memorial to the people and the vanishing culture of the Southern Appalachian Mountains, brought to life for readers through the words of those who were born, lived their lives, and passed away there-words collected by high school students who wanted to be a part of their community and preserve their heritage. All 12 volumes in the regular series are anthologies of Foxfire Magazine articles written by Rabun County high school students over the magazine's 40-year history, usually expanded through follow-up interviews and other research.

THIS

My father in law got this for me.. Stuff you never even thought of. They wait to shoot until there is a tree as a backstop.. so they can dig the lead out of the tree so it can be remelted and molded.

Foxfire is a great way to learn how to do so much and I must say Foxfire 3 has a great moonshine article in it,I did the interviews back in 1973,that was great place to go to High School.

Back
Top Bottom