• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

best all around powders?

As with anything else there's different schools of thought on loading preferences.

The Titegroup and other fast powders are favored by many as they deliver a lot accurate loads per pound.

My philosophy runs the opposite direction, especially on the larger case cartridges. I like powders on the slower side of medium. Universal and similar powders aren't nearly as cost effective, as they require a bit more for most calibers.

I see this as a positive. I like powders that do more than dust the bottom of the case. My preference will always go to powders with a higher volume/load densities per dose.

Consistent ignitions and the ease of spotting mis-charged cases are two obvious advantages for me.

Which powder is better for your applications is more a question of personal preference.

Rifle - varget
Pistol - trite group, clays (JUST the regular not universal), 231, HS6 or Hp38

There are lots of good pistol powders and " most" any that works for 45 also works reasonably well for 9, and the other way around.

As with anything else there's different schools of thought on loading preferences.

The Titegroup and other fast powders are favored by many as they deliver a lot accurate loads per pound.

My philosophy runs the opposite direction, especially on the larger case cartridges. I like powders on the slower side of medium. Universal and similar powders aren't nearly as cost effective, as they require a bit more for most calibers.

I see this as a positive. I like powders that do more than dust the bottom of the case. My preference will always go to powders with a higher volume/load densities per dose.

Consistent ignitions and the ease of spotting mis-charged cases are two obvious advantages for me.

Which powder is better for your applications is more a question of personal preference.

This is an interesting perspective that I've never thought of before....How are you "regular" loaders seeing the supply going at present? Easier to find than 90 days ago or still difficult?

yep! Best has a lot of different meanings!
most accurate? best velocity? cheapest? cleanest?
to me I don't even figure powder cost into reloading as its the cheapest component, usually less than 2 cents per round regardless of the round.
I like was mentioned earlier like a powder that best fills the case, provides pretty good velocity as I don't download!
if i want to shoot a 10 MM or a 45 acp i don't want it to shoot like a 380 or 9MM, if i did I would take one of those calibers to the range, and a powder that is reasonably clean without a tremendous muzzle flash.
I like Accurate #5 for my 38 super, 45 acp, 10 mm, but use Unique in the 380 & 9MM.
really depends on what you criteria for best may be.

yep! Best has a lot of different meanings!
most accurate? best velocity? cheapest? cleanest?
to me I don't even figure powder cost into reloading as its the cheapest component, usually less than 2 cents per round regardless of the round.
I like was mentioned earlier like a powder that best fills the case, provides pretty good velocity as I don't download!
if i want to shoot a 10 MM or a 45 acp i don't want it to shoot like a 380 or 9MM, if i did I would take one of those calibers to the range, and a powder that is reasonably clean without a tremendous muzzle flash.
I like Accurate #5 for my 38 super, 45 acp, 10 mm, but use Unique in the 380 & 9MM.
really depends on what you criteria for best may be.

I guess CLEAN would be my first choice, followed by ACCURATE next...

My wifes sister uses this . It works very hard in the daylight .

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom