Basement project advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallsGa

Wolf Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
342   0
Reaction score
We havesome reclaimed wood and a dart board.

Going to use the wood as a backing for darts. Want to mount the wood to the cinder block (its the basement outside wall) dart board to the wood, run a light above it.

Whats the best way to attatch to the blocks?
20201228_181436.jpg
20201228_181445.jpg
20201228_181438.jpg

You could use molly bolts/screws or toggle bolts. Either require drilling. If it's being put up for good & no moisture issues use construction adhesive. You may have to brace it while it sets of it might work without that.

Yep I vote construction adhesive as to not drill in to the cinderblocks. It’s not weight bearing with a ton hanging from the wood so shouldn’t be a problem, and you avoid any moisture problems that comes with drilling into basement blocks/concrete.

I'd frame some 2x4s (or 1x2s), mount the reclaimed wood on that and anchor the top of it. Just in case you want to move it in the future.

If you prefer a direct mount, I suggest Tapcon masonry concrete screws. Put a moisture barrier behind it.
Good point on framing it for best results! I was assuming he just wanted a quick fix and wasn’t concerned about moving it in the future.

I’d glue a piece of Sheetrock on the wall, then use the reclaimed wood to make a 4x4 frame and put a roll of cork inside the frame. Darts will stick in the cork/Sheetrock. Then I’d make a nice bar out of the rest of the wood lol. Darts probably won’t stick in the wood...and the wood’s too nice for that anyway.
IMHO of course.

Thanks for the advice. We’re probably going to frame it and attach the reclaimed wood to the frame.

What kind of moisture barrier should we put behind it? Just a simple plastic sheet or is there something better? Do we need to seal the bolt holes with caulk?

Is construction adhesive strong enough to hang the wood planks without any hardware?

I would recommend stripping the wall with pressure treated 1x4s. After that you can nail your reclaimed boards to the 1x4s. Providing a air space between the wood surface help tremendously with moisture problems. My experience with reclaimed lumber is it has deflection and cupping which makes it very hard to attach with construction adhesive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom