• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Balance the bullet

Ok, never loaded oversized cast in a bottleneck. I know about tiny 40gr flat base .224 bullets and fat finger pinch though.

I believe I'd find a bevel base mold before I'd undue my neck sizing with an expanding die though.

They are using pliers and center punches with hammers to expand necks. They also load cast rifle bullets without gas checks. Do you trust their advice?

Take a second to at least consider that if the neck of your case doesn't allow the bullet to seat well and chamfering does not correct it then what are your options if the bullet is spec?

We loaded .30 caliber cast 30-06 and .308 bullets back years ago and the 90 degree base shaved lead or crushed cases when seating bullets. A slight flair and chamfer allowed the bullet to be seated without drama. Yeah you can overdo it but it is just a slight flare enough to get the bullet started but not over work your brass.

They also used an arbor press as well. Whatever it takes to provide a slight flair, It doesn’t take much. I personally have not had issues with copper jacketed yet.

I have to flare my 32-20 cases. They are bottle neck. But they are the only cases I load in a rifle that I do this too.

And if you think loading those little 224 bullets, you should try 17 Remington.

Generous chamfer using the 45 degree version. Then use the 60 degree VLD version chamfer for a smooth seating process. I dislike Flat base bullets for this reason (hard to start)

Back
Top Bottom