• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Backyard Chicken Farmers

CliffB

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
We are getting geared up for another round of swaps this year for anyone interested.

Alright for those gearing up for Spring and getting ready to get new chicks or get rid of some old hens for some new pullets, the McDonough Tractor Supply off Highway 81 E will be holding it's annual Chicken Swaps for Spring. To avoid any confusion we will only be doing these swaps February, March, April and May and they will be held on the last Saturday of the month. The first swap will be on February 27, 2016 from 9:00am to 3:00pm.
The same rules apply as last year. Trading, swapping is perfectly fine but if you are a hobby farmer or are knowingly in the business of selling chicks or even adult birds the GDoA does ask that you go ahead and sign up for a Poultry Dealers License. I believe it was $25-35.00 and is good for 1 year. They will have a representative on site doing the paperwork and taking checks and will also be actively checking for sick birds that may be on site.This swap is open to all poultry including chickens, ducks, turkey, quail, pheasant, geese and anything else i may have forgotten in the poultry class. MEAT rabbits will also be allowed at this event. Anyone with questions feel free to call and ask or respond here.

the_great_white the_great_white @vwthing1 lftd&pwrstrok'n lftd&pwrstrok'n GeauxLSU GeauxLSU

anybody else thinking they may want to raise some backyard birds, this was quite helpful for me when i was wanting to get started

I am, my daughter wants chickens after going to a Girl Scout "camp" at a family farm... I worry about the bird flu though.

I am, my daughter wants chickens after going to a Girl Scout "camp" at a family farm... I worry about the bird flu though.

Don't be. From all of the girlfriend's research, it is virtually impossible for it to survive in the back yard setting. The issue is from production farms that have 1000s of birds on top of each other in the chicken houses. It is a breeding ground for disease and illnesses. The openness of our yards and the allowing of free ranging is prohibitive for the flu to thrive.

The bird flu wasn't nearly as bad last fall as we had expected it to be. Spoke to the DoA on Monday and they are waiting to see how the return migration plays out.

Don't be. From all of the girlfriend's research, it is virtually impossible for it to survive in the back yard setting. The issue is from production farms that have 1000s of birds on top of each other in the chicken houses. It is a breeding ground for disease and illnesses. The openness of our yards and the allowing of free ranging is prohibitive for the flu to thrive.

The concern is the fact Georgia is the migratory patch of birds from the North to Florida and warmer weather so as birds are passing through places that may be contaminated they potentially can bring the flu with them as they pass through your backyard and stop to eat some scratch left on the ground.

The concern is the fact Georgia is the migratory patch of birds from the North to Florida and warmer weather so as birds are passing through places that may be contaminated they potentially can bring the flu with them as they pass through your backyard and stop to eat some scratch left on the ground.

The concern isn't that great. The potential is there, but not nearly as risky as the media would have us believe. Anything can happen, of course, but bird flu is not a concern for us.

The concern isn't that great. The potential is there, but not nearly as risky as the media would have us believe. Anything can happen, of course, but bird flu is not a concern for us.

This is all from Dr. Cobb and Daniel Duncan which is why they are so persistent in me having permits and sellers being licensed.

Back
Top Bottom