• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Attempting to "correct" or "educate" someone concerning an item listed FS/FT

Billrube

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
128   0
Reaction score
I caught a glimpse of an exchange over in the classifieds that got the gears turning again.
This happens more than we would like. Sometimes I want to wade into a FS/FT post and throw my .02 in there, not to be "mr know it all" but to keep someone from buying something that it IS NOT what it is listed as.

In my opinion, most inaccurate item descriptions usually come from shear ignorance of the OP. He buys or trades into something he knows little about from an either equally ignorant or deceptive seller to begin with.
You first have to decide, does this guy really just "not know" or is he trying to take advantage of someone? I look at OP's feedback and it's double digits positive, then I figure ignorant probably fits. If he was a snake in the grass he would probably not have double digit positive feedbacks.
Next is: Do you want to get involved? How do you get involved?
This is a two edged sword that I usually try to avoid altogether by not commenting or attempting to educate the OP concerning items and/or inaccurate descriptions.

90% of the time, I tell my myself, it's buyer beware and we are all grown folks. It's up to the buyer to do the homework before purchase.
The other 10% of the time I will send a PM to the OP being as nice as possible and "offer my opinion". This can be sketchy too, as I am an expert in very little on this planet. However there are certain types of firearms that I am intimately familiar with and will occasionally be able to say with confidence that ___________ is/is not correct.
Now, my belief that inserting this into an active FS/FT thread is NOT the way to go. PM the OP; you will get one of two reactions generally:
a) YOU ARE WRONG STAY OUT OF MY BUSINESS
b) I appreciate you telling me this and I'll research it a little more.

One that I felt I "had" to get into was on another site where a guy posted a Norinco AK-47 for sale for a nice <high>price. Only in his pics it was home built Romy G kit that was put together with machine screws. Now is there anything wrong with a home built kit with machine screws? No, sir. I've built one myself and it was a fine rifle. But what the OP listed was NOT a norinco in anyway shape, form or part.
I felt I needed to "warn" potential buyers that this was not what it was listed at.
I posted in the OP thread that it looked like a screw-built Romy G kit and what was in the photograph was NOT a norinco.
When he posted a nasty reply I PMd him and told him whoever sold him that as a Norinco did not know what they were talking about.
Well, he said it was and it got nastier. I ended up PMing a Mod and asking them to remove my posts in the guys thread. I got a warning about that for commenting on the guys stuff. It also turns out that the Mod I spoke had told the OP via PM (before I did) the exact same thing I did. OP didn't want to hear it from the Mod, either.
This is the two edge sword I was talking about:
Right here on the ODT I've had this happen several times but the last one is the freshest in memory:
I had an M44 or two for sale; a Mosin Nagant M44. In good shape these have been running 200+ lately.
I had several well meaning members PM'd me and tell me the reason my rifle was not selling was because you could "buy them all over the place in crates for $99.
If this gets posted in the thread, it makes other people look at it and say, you know that Billrube guy is trying to gouge people with his prices.
There was no malice intended by the posters and they thought they were educating me. After I returned the PMs with lengthy responses, pointing out the differences in the models of Mosin Nagants. Most of the responses were: "oh OK...I didn't know that".
But if they had made their original post in my thread, the damage is done.

So back to the point. When (if ever) should one get involved in thread to "correct" someone's in-accurate listing?

My opinion: if you have to offer an opinion or education to the OP, keep it private. If you really believe someone is being deceptive on a scale that merits intervention, ask a Moderator about it before you do anything.
Occasionally the OP will ask for opinions in his post; to me this opens the door and there's nothing wrong if you give an opinion when asked by the OP.
Buyer beware...it's on the buyer to do his homework before buying...

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I agree with you 100% bill. It is buyer beware but if someone has a romy G and is calling it a norinco then something should be said. In PM that is. If you dont want to get involved then PM a mod. Ill tell them. I dont want someone getting upset because they thought they bought a norinco when really they got a romy G. Some people just dont do enough research. I got told that HK P7s were really made by taurus. So, some people really have no clue.

At no point should a comment be made in someones thread. If your unsure of what your looking at, then dont say anything. Like you said, If someone says they saw a crate of M44s for 99 bucks a pop, then they might think you are trying to scam them. When really if there were a crate of M44s for 99 bucks a pop.... I would be cleaning out my bank account and buying as many as I could fit in my car.

Last edited:
If Bill says a Russian ( commie countrys) weapon is blank I will side with him. I don't know him but on a few forums I frequent he is very knowledgable . I TRY not to comment to other posters in any way , as forest gump said it best. Stupid is as stupid does

Only time I commented on a post was where the OP said the rifle would shoot BOTH 5.45x39 AND .223. Uhhhh. I'm no expert nor do I play one on TV, but if someone bought the firearm and put the wrong ammo in it I don't know if it would blow up and injure someone. When it comes to safety, I would get involved.

if it's something serious, just report to a mod. i don't see any need to pm someone, or post in there classifieds unless you intend on doing business with them

Only time I commented on a post was where the OP said the rifle would shoot BOTH 5.45x39 AND .223. Uhhhh. I'm no expert nor do I play one on TV, but if someone bought the firearm and put the wrong ammo in it I don't know if it would blow up and injure someone. When it comes to safety, I would get involved.

That was a good call. ANYTIME you see something that could have someone on the ODT hurt or even killed report it to a mod ASAP!

Good to have NWS, bill and soviet on here for info,if and when I buy an AK and I will. I will ask for help from them,my experience aith AK's is "Dang that looks good" might not chamber a second round but it shore is pretty.Thanks guys and keep up the good work.You Go Bill!

i agree also with this. last thing i want is for people to be turned away from the site because maybe a newer, less knowledgable member bought something that wasnt what they thought it was. Also agree with the safety aspect as well.........that thread was epic btw.....

Back
Top Bottom