• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Attempting cold reblue kit...quick prep question

Captain Kaboom

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
28   0
Reaction score
Attempting to reblue an old .22 where it looks like the receiver was stripped for some reason. Before I start to reblue, do I need to sand to smooth this out?

F28C13B6-9056-49BF-AD2D-89C878268574.jpeg
AC92B922-336E-4959-8C90-24BC2CBB66D5.jpeg

Looks like an old model 60. All the casting that were painted originally were rough. They were primed and painted. I seriously doubt your going to get that to look descent cold blueing.

Looks like an old model 60. All the casting that were painted originally were rough. They were primed and painted. I seriously doubt your going to get that to look descent cold blueing.
This - biggie time.
I dont know if those 60 recievers, if thats what it is, will take blueing
And this ....

You could cerakote it (??). Ive heard that stuff will cover anything :confused::)

This - biggie time.

And this ....

You could cerakote it (??). Ive heard that stuff will cover anything :confused::)

Man, thank you all. It’s a Marlin 99M1, for all intensive purposes like a Model 60. I didn’t even consider that it couldn’t be reblued. Further reading tells me that this could have ended badly.

Looks like I’ll be exploring painting options! Thank you again.

Man, thank you all. It’s a Marlin 99M1, for all intensive purposes like a Model 60. I didn’t even consider that it couldn’t be reblued. Further reading tells me that this could have ended badly.

Looks like I’ll be exploring painting options! Thank you again.
Yep... bluing (hot blue) is a rusting process for all intents.... that metal wont rust quite so easily , lol. Thats why they throw a coat of paint on them at the factory.

In for final product pics though ! :)

Back
Top Bottom