• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Are all 1911s heavy?

well I have owned a colt 1911 about 25 years ago, and I do not remember it being as heavy as the Taurus we saw last night. I have not held one for a while that is why i asked.

www.driftmechaniks.com_forum_images_smilies_z_slayer.gif

Ok, I guess this isn't a trick question. The orginal Goverment model {5" barrel} is about 38oz. These days you can get a light weight Goverment down to a Colt Defender that weighs as little as 23oz. with a 3.5" barrel. But beware less weight means more recoil and less accuracy. Oh yea and then there are the .45 pocket pistols at around 20oz.

I just got a Randall Stainless (All Randalls are Stainless) 1911. It's is a 4.25 inch barrel Commander "Raider" model. It weighs in at 36 ounces. The full size models weigh 38 ounces. There was a commander model called the Curtis LeMay that had a shortened handle and would hold only 6 rounds. It weighs 35 ounces.

Most 1911s are massive chunks of lead-spewing steel. Man-guns. My wife has trouble even cocking the hammer back or racking the slide. She couldn't even do either the first time she tried. There's no way she's gonna shoot it. No way. Consider that the gun fires a 230 grain ball of lead down range. If it weighed 18 ounces like some of these polymer guns it would kick like a mule.

Basically, the standard blued steel "Government" model weighs 2 lb. 7 oz. (39 ounces) unloaded...

Glock 19 with 16 rounds of 124 grain weighs 30.8 oz.
1911 with 8 rounds of 230 grain weighs 44.7 oz.

They are heavy so when you throw it after emptying the mag it does more damage.Heck you can throw one through a door.Love my 1911,every one I have ever had.

Back
Top Bottom