• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ar15 ambi safety removal

KingMickey

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
11   0
Reaction score
Has one had a problem in the past taking off an ambi safety. It probably had locctice during the installation which I didn't do it came bought like that oem.

I torched it to see if I could get it lose, but the screw doesn't move. Any suggestions?

Hope I didn't striped the screw yet.

Has one had a problem in the past taking off an ambi safety. It probably had locctice during the installation which I didn't do it came bought like that oem.

I torched it to see if I could get it lose, but the screw doesn't move. Any suggestions?

Hope I didn't striped the screw yet.
Drill it out screw side and toss it in the trash.

Not all ambi safetys assemble with a screw. Some of them are held on with a cross pin on each side. What brand is the safety?
He mentioned screw, so that was my assumption. Easy enough to drill the head out slightly larger like you would a pop rivet.

I’d imagine cross pins aren’t involved since there was also mention of loctite and a torch. Haven’t heard of those being used on something pinned.

He mentioned screw, so that was my assumption. Easy enough to drill the head out slightly larger like you would a pop rivet.

I’d imagine cross pins aren’t involved since there was also mention of loctite and a torch. Haven’t heard of those being used on something pinned.
The little roll pin could be mistaken for a screw. I've installed a bunch of ambi safetys and don't recall loctite on any of them. Even ones I've over loctited came off with just a quality hex bit.

It is an LMT ambi safety that came with the lmt lower. So yeah, it takes a hex screw but maybe they put some locctite on it? Or superman put it on there.
Hope it’s Loctite and not Rocksett. Oil and heat won’t do the trick with Rocksett. What’s odd is soaking Rocksett in water overnight does. But obviously soaking your lower is not always a great idea.

That little yellow bit could be (fingers crossed) yellow Loctite or (let’s hope it’s not) Rocksett.
IMG_0337.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom