• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15/16A1 Clone

Targetmaster

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
228   0
Reaction score
Picked this up from another member Monday, last time I used a model of this was 67 in the south delta of the Mekong. Later I used an XM177. Been wanting another to pass on to my son when I go to that big PX in the sky. So I loaded it up with a 20 rd mag (Nam issue back then) and went down to my range. Had an eerie feeling holding it, I place a target at the 100m and walked back to my table and had a sudden urge to turn quick and fire a quick 5 round burst. It was as smooth as butter and had a strange feel with the old style tri-angle hand guards, but when I walked back down range, Charlie... I mean the target had 5 nice round holes in the Head. Brought a warm feeling to my heart. Have ordered an original 3 prong C Ration Case opener to replace the bird cage, and now to find a nice matching lower to bring it back to that original NVA stomper look. I feel like a kid at Christmas, it's a keeper
AR 15Clone.jpg
minus the pew pew pew pew pew parts.. But I always felt that was a waste of ammo anyway. Americans were once taught to pick your targets, not close your eyes and spray & pray.. It brings back memories, good & bad, but I still tend to giggle a little when I pull the trigger and chant to myself "get some".. You're never to old to play, it's just your toys cost a tad more :thumb:

I cut my teeth on an A1 as an ROTC cadet in 1976!

Got a clone from a great member here and it's one of my best shooters. No school like old school!

View attachment 1150142 View attachment 1150143 View attachment 1150144 View attachment 1150145
Well, I wasn't cutting my teeth on it (did that in 62 with a Garand) but I spent a lot of time cleaning mud, dust & carbon out of this old A1 in 67 LOL.. If the stock had been wood, I would have cut notches , instead, I just took the old bayonet & scratched the kills on it :eyebrows:

Attachments

• maddog8.jpg
    maddog8.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 68
20170303_214009.jpg
20170118_175928.jpg
20170118_180155.jpg
20170118_175851.jpg

Did not spend time in the "bush", But have friends and family that did.

This is my clone build. Of the model 602-603 (something like that)
Colt upper, dust cover & forward assist (tear drop), 20" pencil barrel, 3 prong flash hider
Armalite M15 lower (original 602,3s where Colt & Armalite roll marked, this is as close as I could get)
And top it off with Bakelite furniture, tri hand guard, A1 grip, A1 stock.
(last 2 pics was before I added the Bakelite)

All with Respect for those I know and do not know, That spent time in the "Bush"

Back
Top Bottom