anyone raise meat rabbits?

adamk222

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
11   0
Reaction score
its just something im thinking of doing and am wondering if you have any advice? and also where did you get your breeing stock and what breed did you chose? from what ive read i think new zealand whites or california whites are the most popular but i may go with meat muts at first untill i get some experience thanks.

rabbits are great source of food and can generate some extra cash too! i raise them for food for my family and i think they will be good bartering animals wtshf and i sell some to local farm and garden store to help off set feed costs there easy to raise as long as you keep them out of the weather in the winter time just be sure to have extra cages cause when they start having babies they have a lot

Are you doing it more for fun or as prep for wtshtf? In a shtf situation, you'de be better off raising something that produces a fatty milk, rabbits alone in a survival situation would lead to protein poisening.

^That also makes me think, how concealable are goats (not very) I guess maybe just a pair or so so to get the milk and to breed and some rabbits for meat. Any thoughts?

Rabbits, goats and laying hens..........we also put in a 2 acre pond stocked with bream and bass. The bull frogs and turtles mysterioulsy appeared...build it and they will come!!!!!

Goats might not be the nest in a suburban community like Johns Creek. Nosey neighbors and maybe ordinance prohibiting the keeping of livestock on residential property?????

Last edited:
So whats the exchange rate between cornish hens and meat rabbits? With as fast as the hoppers reproduce, id probably say 1 cornish hen = 3.667 meat rabbits.

So whoes going to be the first to trade meat rabbits for guns?

:D

So whats the exchange rate between cornish hens and meat rabbits? With as fast as the hoppers reproduce, id probably say 1 cornish hen = 3.667 meat rabbits.

So whoes going to be the first to trade meat rabbits for guns?

:D

LOL....not I. OBTW the rabbits we raise are New Zealands but we are getting out of the business so to speak. Watch out for VHD (hemmorrhagic disease) it can wipe out the whole colony of domestic bunnies rather quickly. We are opting to create habitat that will promote the growth of the wild rabbit population in our area.

Are you doing it more for fun or as prep for wtshtf? In a shtf situation, you'de be better off raising something that produces a fatty milk, rabbits alone in a survival situation would lead to protein poisening.
yes im im going to be doing it as a prep.off of the top of my head i can think of no other livestock i could raise in my small backyard without bringing down the wrath of the hoa.and as far as the protein poisening you are assuming that rabbits is all we will be eating which is far from the truth it is simply a way to have fresh meat on hand for my family both pre and post tshtf.

Back
Top Bottom