• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone have honey bees

My daughter is just getting into it. Has one hive and getting another. I have a good friend that has kept bees for years and he lost some over the winter but has been splitting his up

One of my coworkers has been doing it for 10 years now. I don't know how many times he's lost them all but it's been quite a few.

My next door neighbor has around 30 hives. He has been splitting them for the last few weeks. If you would like to speak with him, PM me and I will put you in touch with him.

3rd year doing this and a lot of people lost hives this last winter. Maybe when I do the split, I'll try to get some pics for people interested. Most people have no idea how many bees are actually in a hive.

I've got a good start; just want to split before they start to swarm. 2 deep brood, med full of what looks like capped honey and empty med on top right now. I also have drawn comb and honey frames frome last year from one of the empty hives.

I had one hive torn up by bears last spring and they didn’t survive the winter and my other one survived but they swarmed before I could split them last week. I’m picking up a new queen today for it and I installed a new package of bees in another hive yesterday.

After some good advise, I went out and swapped supers around and put honey on top and empty medium below. Founds 8 frames completely full of capped honey. Hoping this will hold them off for a few more days on swarming.
Sorry no pics due to lighting and time.

After some more good advise today and reasons why, I check found my 2nd brood chamber to be completely honey bound. Guessing I have about 60-70# of capped honey right now. Swapped around supers and they now have a med empty 8 frame to work with. Next change I get will be to go into the entire hive and check egg status and see how many swarm cells I have. Getting home at 630 makes it tough on the daylight time.

Back
Top Bottom