• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone have experience with small claims court?

deller

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
114   0
Reaction score
I've had a really bad experience with a so called house painter. I'm actually going to have to hire someone else to correct his many mistakes. Do any of you have pointers for working thru the small claims process.

Take pictures and do not get emotional. facts win cases. Have you offered him a chance to fix it ? Have you sent him a written complaint of the problems. You have to show you made an effort to get him to fix the problem. I took a woman who ran a red light and hit me to small claims when USAA jacked me around about paying for the damages. I got paid.

I recently won small claims and won for my daughter (this time). Remember it doesn't matter what happened, it matters what you can prove with an estimate or a receipt.

One of the issues is the work you did yourself. If you removed an engine and rebuilt it yourself. You'll have receipts and reimbursement for the cost of parts. Not the fair market price of a rebuilt engine, or your labor.

Now if your damages were a blown engine and you paid a shop for a rebuilt engine and installation, all that is reimbursable if you win.

I learned this the hard way.

I recently won small claims and won for my daughter (this time). Remember it doesn't matter what happened, it matters what you can prove with an estimate or a receipt.

One of the issues is the work you did yourself. If you removed an engine and rebuilt it yourself. You'll have receipts and reimbursement for the cost of parts. Not the fair market price of a rebuilt engine, or your labor.

Now if your damages were a blown engine and you paid a shop for a rebuilt engine and installation, all that is reimbursable if you win.

I learned this the hard way.
What if your profession is an auto tech ?

Back
Top Bottom