• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone close reloading .223 or 5.56

Daniel

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   1
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone close to me reloads 5.56 or .223 ammo and would like some free labor to teach and show how to do it. Maybe I can purchase some that I help reload.

if you are loading for an AR15 be sure to pick up a set of rcbs small base dies if you are using brass fired out of anyone elses gun (range brass). If you are using new brass or brass fired out of the gun you are loading for then regular dies will work just fine. It took me awhile to figure this out lol

if you are loading for an AR15 be sure to pick up a set of rcbs small base dies if you are using brass fired out of anyone elses gun (range brass). If you are using new brass or brass fired out of the gun you are loading for then regular dies will work just fine. It took me awhile to figure this out lol

This may be true for some, but I load for several AR's using Lee FL dies. Lee's FL dies size on the small side of spec and work great for many.

I have both .223 and .308 RCBS small base dies too. I've used both types and have had no functional difference in my carbines.

&#8203;Curiosity simply got the better of me, so when I found the RCBS SB dies on sale I decided to see if there were any differences making the extra expense worth it. So yea, I'm well equipped with .308 and .223 dies!

All that a small base sizer die does is sizes the brass down to minimum SAMMI specs. It can reduce the amount of reloads you can get out of your brass. I am averaging 3 reloads on my hotter 223 loads. Some of the lake city I can get 4 or 5. I do not, like Chuckdog, use a small base die for my 308 brass. I do not recommend grinding the shellholder. The die is designed to go down only so far to shape the shoulder of the case. If it is allowed to go further I may cause a bulged shoulder and present problems in chambering.

Back
Top Bottom