• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anybody Tried IMR's Trail Boss

Springfield 1911

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
14   0
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone has tried this powder. I have heard people where I buy my reloding supplies talking like it is the doughnut shaped wonder powder. Supposed to be VERY clean as well (most IMR is though). A small can that normally will hold one pound can hold on 9oz of this stuff. It is supposed to be good for soft lead cast in cowboy shooting. I just wonder if it would do in calibers with less case capacity(45ACP, 9mm etc). Your thoughts?

Yea, I've used it. Mostly in cowboy velocity loads in revolvers. It's an OK propellant, but it ain't something that I likely see myself buying more of any time in the near future.

The one positive aspect it does have over others is good load density. It meters much better than you would ever imagine when looking at it.

I just didn't fall in love with it.

I have been playing with it in the 308, 243, 38special, and the 9mm. It works fine in all but the 9mm. You can't get enough in a 9mm to get enough power. I have read that 3.6 in a 45ACP works pretty well, but I haven't used it.

I mainly use it for light rifle loads. I got the same 308 results as the previous post stated.

As far as the 38 Special goes: It works well, but not better than Red Dot. I tend to think Red Dot is the best Lead Bullet powder available. But, it is dirty.

Tight Group is also good in the tall, formally Black Powder pistol cases like 45Colt and 38 Special.

I really don't think Trail Boss is all that clean.

MY personal data--not to be trusted, blah, blah, blah:

308/178 grain AMAX and 9.0 Trail Boss >> 999FPS in a Browning BLR -- not very accurate
243/55 grain Combined Technologies and 15.1 Trail Boss >> 2400FPS in a Ruger M77 -- accurate out to 100 yards

38special/148 grain DEWC and 4.0 Trail Boss >> 786 FPS in a 4 inch S&W Model 64 -- decent
357/148 grain DEWC and 4.0 Trail Boss >> 839 FPS in a 6 inch S&W Model 28 -- decent

Comment: Red Dot is more accurate in my pistols.

MY personal data--not to be trusted, blah, blah, blah:

308/178 grain AMAX and 9.0 Trail Boss >> 999FPS in a Browning BLR -- not very accurate
243/55 grain Combined Technologies and 15.1 Trail Boss >> 2400FPS in a Ruger M77 -- accurate out to 100 yards

38special/148 grain DEWC and 4.0 Trail Boss >> 786 FPS in a 4 inch S&W Model 64 -- decent
357/148 grain DEWC and 4.0 Trail Boss >> 839 FPS in a 6 inch S&W Model 28 -- decent

Comment: Red Dot is more accurate in my pistols.

I strive for the highest load density in everything I load. Like many I used to use a lot of Unique in cases like the 45 Colt, but just got tired of the mess.

As in my first post, TB didn't excite me either, so I went looking for an alternative and found Universal. It's part of the Clays family from Hodgon. It's a much cleaner burning powder for me. It also meters great and allows a fair amount of flexibility in velocity.

I use it almost exclusively in .38 SP, 45 ACP, .45 Colt, along with several others. It's near identical in burn rate with Unique.

Back
Top Bottom