• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody swapped Savage Barrels?

nicaburns

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
Empty Tomb Forge
245   0
Reaction score
I gave a Savage 111 in 30-06 to a guy in ministry as he was moving to Colorado. He recently brought it back to ask for help setting up a different scope he had been given so I tried sighting it in. I have no idea what happened and there is no visible damage but it now shoots like crap!
Way low right... so much so that it is outside of the range of adjustment on scopes I have tried.
I have tried two scopes, three sets of rings, and two bases and several different configurations to no avail. At first I thought it was the scope but verified on a another rifle that the scope is sound.
I really don't see any option other than swapping the barrel. Has anyone done a Savage 110/111 swap?
Any advice? or even action vise? ;-)

Any help would be appreciated so that I can get him set up for starting to hunt where he now lives in Colorado.
Thanks,
Jason

Crown is not damaged and I have had it out of the stock multiple times and tried several different torque settings on the action screws. It is the accustock model.

Have you looked down the bore to see if somehow the barrel got bent!? Have it bore scooped as well. I had a 7mm Rem mag that was .050 out of axial straightness once. I had to purchas some precision ground rod to drop through the bore and spent some time at the press and got her laser straight again. Historically big firearm manufacturers used to straighten barrels on the assembly line so it is not a unheard of practice…

I see you are in newnan… I can check at my shop tomorrow for some precision ground rod that is just shy of your land diameter so you can do a drop test. Your eyeball should be able to pick up a skewed tangent while looking through the bore though.

Back
Top Bottom