• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody shooting USPSA at Big Woods?

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Really been wanting to go try it out, but kinda nervous to go with my eye issues. I can shoot fine, have handled firearms safely for 30+ years and really enjoy the shooting. However, my peripheral isn't great and I only have one eye. I still drive and work so it's not like I am disabled. Just don't see as well. Not an issue as downrange is clear as a bell and I can see what I am looking at. Just don't want to make a fool of myself. Anybody else go to Big woods for their matches? Are they pretty intense? I have to look at where I am walking/running when I am mobile and that would definitely slow me down.

In for thoughts/experiences/opinions/general criticism :)

During your first match and many to follow you need to go SLOW!!! We say you must learn to walk before you can run. Go early, let them know it's your first match and don't miss the "NEW SHOOTER" briefing. Your only handicaps are those you place upon yourself. When it comes to USPSA you may be disadvantaged by the young athletic kind, inferior training or lesser equipment but you shoot as you are, and to your capabilities. Above all. READ THE RULE BOOK over and over again. memorize the range commands and the safety rules. For your first match you should paln on taking you time and focus on accuracy and safe gun handling, especially when moving during a course. You know you're not going to win the match so just take your time.
THIS IS IMPORTANT : You keep you finger off the trigger unless you are actively engaging a target or transitioning to engage another target.
Finger OFF THE TRIGGER when you RELOAD. Automatic DQ! Match over.

You go and have a great time, and you do you. Just know and understand all of the range commands and the 180 degree rule. If someone yells STOP! You instantly freeze and wait for the next command. You've made a mistake.

GOOD LUCK, AND SAFETY HAS NOITHING TO DO WITH LUCK. Most of all take lots of fluids, stay hydrated and enjoy. Do a lot of observing. If unsure ask questions.

This time of year we (at MRGC in Macon) start/recommend hydrating with something like Pedialyte and water mixed the day before the match. It's miserable out here.

I think you'll likely be fine, but one thing I'll point out is that pretty much every indoor range I've been too for a match has awful lighting down the bay. I'm young-ish with perfect eyes and I can't shoot iron sights indoors for anything. Red dots make it better, but still outdoors is best.

River Bend, Cherokee Gun Club, and South River all run outdoor USPSA matches that are just as new shooter friendly.

I go there for USPSA from time to time, always fun, everyone is extremely welcoming and wanting to help you improve.

There's nothing intense about it, nobody will judge you. I've never felt anything but respect and good sportsmanship from everyone there.

You'll be fine, come have fun!

Back
Top Bottom