• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any other Xterra guys on here?? Body Lift Time

I don't know. For now I like the stance, and i can work on some other areas of the vehicle first. Besides, they had to remove one of the lugs from the right rear hub, so now i will have to order o whole new axle assembly apparently. The dealership that I got it from apparently crossthreaded it.

Pics
View attachment 317291
View attachment 317292

Looks good, They had to remove what??? was it just a stud that was cross threaded? if so you can get a new one pressed into the axle shaft or just get a used shaft from the rear of a wrecked xterra I would think.

Looks good, They had to remove what??? was it just a stud that was cross threaded? if so you can get a new one pressed into the axle shaft or just get a used shaft from the rear of a wrecked xterra I would think.

Yeah they couldn't press another one in, so I will have to get another shaft.

On another note, I just got the upgraded hatch struts, and ordered the strut upgrade for the hood today. McMaster Carr is awesome. They're out of Atlanta, so the shipping is very fast.

I too had to put those on for my lady. a helpful hint on the struts: you can't take off and put on one side at a time, you need to take both off at the same time to let the hatch raise up another inch so you can put the new strut on. If you don't do that then you can't compress the strut enough to make it fit on there. with a buddy holding the hatch open it became a 10 min job. And as far as the shaft goes, I'm sure you could find a wreck frontier or xterra of the same generation at a pull a part that you could grab the shaft off for less than $20.
Good luck.

Exciting Update,

So I was able to get a new lug bolt when i went in for the tire rotation so that's good. Currently I have the following items enroute from PRG, and thenewx.org.

Extended Travel Radflo 2.0's with the 650 lb springs.
SPC Upper Control Arms.
Dakar leaf packs
Bilstein 5125's

Also have the suppiles inbound for the dual battery kit, along with the needed supplies to completely wire in all four roff lights, the winch, and the OBA.

It's like waiting for Christmas. You can expect lots of pics. :)

So parts are steadily coming in. The first picture is of some of the wiring components. I will be doing the dual battery install then running all of the wiring for the light bars, winch and OBA
[Broken External Image]:

The suspension upgrades. Radflo extended travel coilovers, new (to me) UCA's. Not pictured are the Dakar Leaf Springs, and the Bilstein 5125's from PRG.
[Broken External Image]:

A picture of the hood strut mod. it really shoots that hood up there.
[Broken External Image]:

Lst but definitely not the least. My new welding setup. Miller 211 Auto-set with MVP. Cart, and 80 cu ft gas bottle. Really stoked to start welding up my own parts. Definitely need to brush back up, as well as the Welding program I will be doing once out of the Army.
[Broken External Image]:

Well I got a chance to do some practicing with the welder. This was the last one. I think it looks decent, any thoughts?

Also, any ideas what those metallic copper looking spots are? It's a 75/25 argon/co2 mix. .30 wire, 1/8" steel.

i61.tinypic.com_vpyrg8.jpg

UPDATE for any who are interested. I have been working on the dual battery setup. Originally I had planned on running most of the accessories off of the auxiliary battery. With the Painless Wiring power manager kit with jump start it says not to connect anything to the aux battery. So it will all be added to the main battery, and the power manager will control the aux battery cutting on and off dependent on the load demands. Or I can manually bypass and connect both with the jumpstart option when needed.

Batteries are both Optima Yellow Tops. a D34 for the main, and a D35 for the aux.

First up was relocating the Power steering resevoir. As you can see I was fabbing up something with materials at hand, and looks were not a top priority. ;) I ended up tack welding the first bracket to the firewall, and then bolting the other one up to that.
i57.tinypic.com_258uetk.jpg

Next was to clear out the original battery stuff, cut off some brackets, and then fab up the dual battery tray. It's not perfect, and I wish that I had had more time to measure and true everything up perfectly, but time was ticking, and I needed it back for work. I measured the dimensions for the batteries, added a bit for welding and human error. Tacked up the indivdual trays, and then created the spacers to keep everything level. i added two pieces of angle iron to act as the bolt down brackets. I added two more pieces inverted with a slot cut out for the battery tie-down j hooks. Then tacked on the tab for the voltage sensor. Unfortunately I ran out of time so I just welded the bracket in there at the last minute. Hopefully I can go back in, cut it out, and make it truly bolt-on.
i61.tinypic.com_2dhsj88.jpg

i59.tinypic.com_15gbl8n.jpg

i61.tinypic.com_2z869i1.jpg

A little of this to the top of the posts to make sure there is no contact at all.
i59.tinypic.com_2dcfz83.jpg

i62.tinypic.com_2ps4y8m.jpg

Finished.
i59.tinypic.com_2qicjtg.jpg

i57.tinypic.com_v7f7sz.jpg

After all of this it was time for the Power manager Kit. Installation was pretty straightforward. The only confusion that i had was where the original cable coming from the main battery was supposed to connect. I went with right back to the main battery POS terminal. Seems to be fine.

Pics coming soon.

Overall a nice little project that was a great learning experience. Thanks for looking.

Pretty cool! When I need new tires on my Frontier I plan on doing a suspension lift front and rear. Gonna upgrade the shocks at that point as well.

Back
Top Bottom