• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any one intio telescopes (for veiwing planets)?

Tucker2007

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong forum, and feel free to relocate.

I know nothing about them and would like to learn more from folks with experience. If you are selling yours, I wouldn't even know upon what to base my decision. So, I would like to start with learning from those who know more than me in this area.

Thank you for reading!

Best,

Tony

it's really hard to track a moving celestial body with manual adjustments, and rickety tripod and no concrete or bedrock slab to set up on (or packed earth).
It's actually a bit easier to track star clusters than planets.
That said, telescopes that can track on their own are pricey. Lotta light pollution in GA, even in the boonies. I used to think South Texas was bad...
For the comet that's coming in August, I will be setting up my old Jason 430, outta be real cool looking seeing as it'll be the closest one in our lifetime, and as bright as the moon in daylight (!!!).

I had not heard about the comet coming... It is called ISON

http://waitingforison.wordpress.com/august-2013/

Amateur astronomers and skywatchers should get their first views of Comet ISON in August. It will probably be quite challenging still, low in the pre-sunrise eastern sky, and might still need a small telescope or binoculars to see it, but that’s when the hunting will begin and the real excitement will start to build. By this time we should have a much better idea of just how bright ISON will actually get.

I was really into this stuff as a teenager after an Uncle gave me a 6" long lube reflector telescope, Harvard "Sky & Telescope" was a great magazine back in the day and I just found their website. Pretty good tool after you figure out what kind of scope you want ect. There is allot of online info out there but the 6" LT or ST reflector was pretty sharp back in the day (over 35 years ago), I imagine with tech changes over the years . Unfortunately for me I left that scope at the foot of my bed and kicked the crap out of it and shattered the mirror just before going in to the military.

Just did some reading and they really have come far depending on your budget, preloaded computer tracking, camera attachments pretty cool stuff from 200 to 1500...Amazon had a good selection as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-Sirius-...74154814&sr=1-62&keywords=reflector+telescope

Back
Top Bottom