• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any Crawfishermen on here?

1   0
Reaction score
Posted in general discussion but this might be the best place...now is the time to load your traps or "Crab" for crawfish in your favorite honey hole. Night is best and they are fat as they will be this year right now. We caught over 10 lbs of these jewels on the Friday night before the bow opener(crabbing style). Only kept ones big enough to eat that sweet little clump of claw meat....great thing to do with the young'uns!

It is easy and fun. Most streams/rivers/springs in Georgia have crawfish, even if you don't see them. In clear water areas, they stay hidden till dark. I use liver flavored catfood as I've had the best luck with it. If you are running traps, just poke a bunch of holes in the can and place a can in each trap. Don't let your traps soak for more than a couple of days or your crawfish will need "cleaning out". This means putting them in a cage for a few days so they can chit out all that nasty liver catfood. This time of year, the crabbing method is very effective and the crawfish don't ingest any bait. I just tie a rope to a cricket cage and place the bait in the cage...the current will spread the chum and bring the crawfish to the bait. The most ideal time to do this is at night and with a lantern illuminating the water. I hang mine in a tree. Bright light can spook them but the lantern light allows you to see their approach and net them. Let a few small ones attach to the outside of the cage as this will make the big boys come in to fight. I use a dip net on an 8ft pole. Always remember that a crawfish swims backwards. Bring the net up from behind him or he will escape every time. Eat 'em steamed or boiled, by themselves or with sausage,corn and potatos...and beer. Sorry to ramble.

I bet they are delicious but I could never eat one after seeing what they look like when they are alive. They are like aquatic cockroaches.

Back
Top Bottom