• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any BMW 3 Series owners out there?

I just bought my 3rd BMW in the last year. I own 01' 330I MT Topaz blue, 03' 325i AT Monaco blue, and 08' 328i AT Titanium silver. My two sons drive the 01' and 03'. I bought those cars and you can do the research but, the insurance was cheaper on the BMW's then it was for a scion TC, jetta, or passat. Insurance on the 08' was cheaper than the 07' maxima I just sold. These cars are also extremely safe. If your looking at an E46 they are notorious for control arm bushings, cooling issues, window regulators, and headliners. Auto Transmission are hit or miss on E46. People are scared to own these cars due to price of repairs. Service history is critical as in any other car. I looked for three months before I bought my first one which was the 330i. Pre-purchase inspection is a must. One I didn't buy needed $2500 in repairs, but looked new on the outside. All three of mine drive and handle great but different. You can get a carfax but I looked at several that were wrecked but not reported on carfax. Luckily I found a good mechanic who works cheap to hanlde basic maintenence. If you have any questions or need advise on these cars contact me. I would be glad to talk.

Remember about 4 and a half hours ago, the part where I said love/hate relationship? Mine just went to hate. Pulled in the driveway from work, opened my door and immediately smelled that distinct odor of coolant. It looks like the old 328 popped another hose and gave my engine bay and part of my driveway a fresh coating of coolant.

So, as punishment, Mr. BMW will sit for 3 or 4 days until I decide I'm not irate about his behavior.

Last edited:
Agreed. I personally prefer E46s but I wouldn't shy away from an E90.

My parents looked at a Lexus, then I told them to go drive the equivalent toyota and decide if they really want to spend $10k more for that L on the front. They bought the Toyota. Of course now I have shown them the Bavarian light and are looking at a 7er.
This is all moot anyway as the OP said he's set on a Bimmer

What is the Toyota equivalent to the GS and LS? Was it the ES? Just curious.

Remember about 4 and a half hours ago, the part where I said love/hate relationship? Mine just went to hate. Pulled in the driveway from work, opened my door and immediately smelled that distinct odor of coolant. It looks like the old 328 popped another hose and gave my engine bay and part of my driveway a fresh coating of coolant.

So, as punishment, Mr. BMW will sit for 3 or 4 days until I decide I'm not irate about his behavior.

I had the same problem with my 330i, I pulled in the driveway and the radiator tank exploded. However it was nice of her to do that when I got home and not on the way home. I think i was about $60 for a new tank, replaced it myself.

To the OP: As far as my 2003 330i I love the car, however if my brother wasn't a BMW mechanic, I wouldn't own one. All the problems stated above are true. Control arm bushings for sure, no trans problems but I had to replace the clutch. Also the window regulator, not yet but it may have been replaced. Some oil leaks.

The one problem I don't see listed is the Vanos which is a hydraulic valve position adjustment. Like variable valve timing. Problem is cause by a seal that degrades in oil, which is what operates the system. The reason no one points it out is because it slowly robs the car of power and people don't always notice this. Mine still hasn't been done, it's a 10 hour job.

If you need a mechanic send me a PM I can put you in contact with my brother, he's really good, works for a BMW race team and would be more than happy to take your money.

Back
Top Bottom