• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any BMW 3 Series owners out there?

ClassicBlue

Default rank <5000 posts
Friends don’t let friends buy cheap guns!
431   0
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 3 series, 4 door, automatic for my daughter. Finding lots of 2004 to 2005's in great shape but with high miles. Most can be had from 4000.00 to 7000.00 range. Are these prone to transmission problems? I thought I heard somewhere that they are. Any other big repair issues that I should be aware of? I know I'd be better off with a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan so please save the suggestion, this is what she's hoping for. She's a good kid that's a straight A student, I'd like to get her what she wants. Thanks

It all depends on how well the car was serviced; records are key with used BMWs. I've owned several both here in the States and in Germany. If you can find one and she can drive it you should realllly try for a manual trans. No matter what it is an auto trans with lots of mile is a ticking bomb, but one that is well taken care of ( ie regular servicing) should last anywhere from 150-250k. I had a 1991 735i beater in Germany for a while with 280k miles on the stock trans that was very well taken care of.

Either way, I'd rather buy a 3er with 200k miles on it but with detailed service records that has been taken care of than one with 150k with nothing but the owner's word.

^^^what he said

Plus,

Not to be that guy, but why buy her something that is going to cost 1.5-2 times the cost to repair if/when it breaks??

3-series can be fun (330ci), but I would never buy an automatic. I think the 5-speed is a pretty good car, but the interiors show their age really bad... :-( I have seen many many 3 series with well over 200k. Not sure what it cost to keep them running up to that point though.

I wanted a WS6 TransAm when I was 16, but my parents knew better...lol

I own a 2011 BMW 328i. Love it. I know several people who own older 3 series bimmers. None of them have had any transmission issues. With the BMW it's very easy to drive fast and put a lot of wear on the tranny. Which is why some have issues. One good way to test it is to drive it like you stole it. See if it slips. Many people just hear BMW and think everything is stupid expensive. That is not always the case. Just find an honorable BMW mechanic and your all set. I know a good one if needed.

i61.tinypic.com_24zfwr5.jpg

What about a Lexus gs300 or is300? Less expensive to repair and still luxury. Lexus is one of BMW main competitor. Also Lexus gs and is300 engines and tranny are bulletproof

What about a Lexus gs300 or is300? Less expensive to repair and still luxury. Lexus is one of BMW main competitor. Also Lexus gs and is300 engines and tranny are bulletproof

I looked at Lexus . Drove like a Toyota with a BMW price tag. Although I will say the 2013 and newer 328is suck ! Bad. BMW went down hill. It drove like a 1988 Honda . Very disappointing

I looked at Lexus . Drove like a Toyota with a BMW price tag. Although I will say the 2013 and newer 328is suck ! Bad. BMW went down hill. It drove like a 1988 Honda . Very disappointing

Agreed. I personally prefer E46s but I wouldn't shy away from an E90.

My parents looked at a Lexus, then I told them to go drive the equivalent toyota and decide if they really want to spend $10k more for that L on the front. They bought the Toyota. Of course now I have shown them the Bavarian light and are looking at a 7er.
This is all moot anyway as the OP said he's set on a Bimmer

Love my old 2001 330ci convertible. Let's see, on the 04 models, window regulators tend to be an issue, there is a much more robust design available if the original ones fail . The control arm bushings tend to wear ( mainly the one that is attached to the fire wall)- there are three on each side. ( also upgrades available) check the rear trunk button on the deck kid as these can get broken if the trunk is locked via the valet switch in the glove box and someone yanks on it without realizing it. Upgrade the radio. If you buy a convertible, the rear shock mount bushing should be checked. ( open the top half way and they can be accessed under the top lid. Never had auto trams problems, but BMW states that these are filled with " life time" trams fluid . There's no trams dip stick to even check it!
goodluck and hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom