• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any Bass players?

I have been playing at the bass for a few years. I play well enough to get by looking at a chord chart and playing the root notes. I was just curious if anyone else here plays bass and if so do you have any pointers to move to the next step. I guess that would be walking and filling in notes.

Find yourself a band to play with asap. It will force you to learn and expand at an exponential rate.

Folsom prison blues, Start with this song. Very easy bass line. E A B. easy walks. Listen to early electric blues, country, and boogie woogie piano players. Use your ears first, fingers second.

Last edited:
I've been playing bass for a while now, I'm in two bands, one is currently touring and traveling.

Here is what you need to know about bass guitar "it's easy to play, hard to be good at!"

Just practice and play along with songs you know. I never looked at chords, or many scales. The more you play/practice the more organic it becomes. Second nature in a sense. When you are writing new stuff or playing with a band, don't specifically stay with the drums or guitars.....find a good blend of playing with both. If you can do that and keep your mind free while you are playing you'll start to develop what we call "feel"

I've been playing bass for about 9 years off and on when ever i get free time between work and school. I have an Ibanez 4 Sting, Epi thunderbird, and Warwick Corvette 5 string that i love.

Find a drummer to jam with. You will learn more playing with others than any other way. I started on bass in 1986. Played daily for 10 years. Most of that time with performing bands.

Also, start writing songs on bass. Most every good song I've ever written started with a bass riff. I learned that from Steve Harris from Iron Maiden.

I've played bass for about 23 years but started out on guitar. I prefer playing bass by leaps and bounds. More fun to me. Geddy Lee taught me how to play. I would literally sit in my room for hours trying to figure out the easiest Rush songs (if there are any) until my forearms couldn't take it anymore. Geddy's melodies are unreal. Looking back, I would have spent more time learning blues scales since blues is really the foundation of rock and roll. If you listen to the Beatles, most of McCartney's bass lines are very bluesy. Start out with easy and then go to more complex. I remember having fun playing U2 bass licks.

Just sit in your room with your amp and play along with your favorite bands. That way, you develop an outstanding ear (a lot of musicians do not) and you'll be well on your way to rock star status. :rockon:

Well I havent played this year. I know that has not improved my playing at all. Just havent taken the time. ( I would say I havent had the time but I find time to hang out of gun forums) . I miss it. I am hoping reading this thread again will encourage me to get out my bass and play a little.

I've played bass for about 23 years but started out on guitar. I prefer playing bass by leaps and bounds. More fun to me. Geddy Lee taught me how to play. I would literally sit in my room for hours trying to figure out the easiest Rush songs (if there are any) until my forearms couldn't take it anymore. Geddy's melodies are unreal. Looking back, I would have spent more time learning blues scales since blues is really the foundation of rock and roll. If you listen to the Beatles, most of McCartney's bass lines are very bluesy. Start out with easy and then go to more complex. I remember having fun playing U2 bass licks.

Just sit in your room with your amp and play along with your favorite bands. That way, you develop an outstanding ear (a lot of musicians do not) and you'll be well on your way to rock star status. :rockon:
Couldn't agree more. I started on bass in 8th grade, got good, then switched to guitar, that was 13 years ago. Just sit in your room with awesome music and play. But don't forget how important it is to actually know how to play with other people. Also, if you are looking for an acoustic bass, let me know

Back
Top Bottom