• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any archery kills yet?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
No luck yet for me, but today my buddy saw a 400 or so pound black bear running full steam about60 yards away.

Too far and too fast to get with a bow.

Yester day, first day, the only thing interesting i came across was some coyotes that were onto my scent in the tree stand and were howling, whining and making all kinds of weird communication noises to eachother.

I could see movement from behind the bushes but they would not show themselves, and I was ready to crack the first one right between the eyes with a broadhead, but one in the distance made a sharp bark as if to say 'let's go", and the others followed.

I did not get to hunt until this evening, been working on replacing a bathroom floor that fell in. I got to see about 12 deer total this evening. ALOT of fawns and several big ole nannies. But they were headed the other direction but got to watch them feed for about 45 minutes.

So I get to my farm last night, and the wind is bad. I don't have a stand for the direction. I grab the climber and head for a nice little hole I just cleared with the dozer next to the creek at the bottom of a great ridge. For the first time, I climb without my release on. I just finished put up my bow-hanger, and set my bow with an arrow in it when a doe comes behind me right under my stand. My release is in my pocket, so I draw back by hand, not thinking that my peep will not work. So now I am sighting as if my compound was a recurve. No problem as I am proficient with both. It was such a steep shot that as I was adjusting and ready to release, I bumped the stand and the doe ducked my arrow at 10'. To make it worse, I had to climb down to check the arrow because I wasn't sure I had missed. I did not want to track in the dark. No Blood.... That is why they call it hunting.... Lesson Learned....

Just had three does and one small buck come in on me. None of them presented
any nice shots. They were all real nervous because the neighbors dog wouldn't quit barking.
With any luck I'll put one of them in the dirt tomrrow evening.

My first time in the stand was Sunday evening. I was running behind and got seated at 6:45. 7 minutes later an older doe came in alone. I still had sweat dripping off of my nose from the hike in. She passed by at 15 yards presenting a quartering away shot. The Rage entered mid-way back on the right side and exited between the left shoulder and brisket. She ran 40 yards and piled up.

I hunted a different stand Monday evening with no sightings. I hunted another new stand on Wed evening and saw a doe and a fawn, but no shots presented.

It sure ha been hot in the evenings. Can't wait until this weekend to get in some morning hunting in cooler temps.

Back
Top Bottom