• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any aquarists in the house?

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
I've had fish tanks off and on most of my adult life. After the fall 2009 rains flooded my basement office, I decided to set up my fish tank again as part of the office refurbishment. It's a 55 gallon acrylic tank, with a freshwater tropical community.

I find it's a relaxing thing to have in the office. The pumps and water flow produce gentle background "white noise," and if I'm stressed out, I spend a few minutes looking at the fish and it gets me back on an even keel.

I recently reworked the lighting to use a pair of T5 6500K (bright daylight) bulbs, instead of the old-style pet-store fixtures. Might add some LED lighting for a nightime moon glow effect. Also thinking about planting it with live plants.

One of the things that's fascinating about the hobby is how far it's come in recent years. The equipment is much more advanced and makes maintaining and enjoying a tank far easier to deal with. The lighting, filters, pumps, heaters, etc., are all much better than 20 years ago.

www.zjstech.net_aquarium_aquarium1.jpg

We have been thinking about starting our tank again, after we lost our male beta last year we just lost interest in the whole thing. we just let all the fish die out over time by the end all we had was a sucker fish, boy by the time he died he had lived in the tank alone about 8 months and had gotten huge. but we mistakenly fly bombed our house without covering the tank... he didn't make it.

maybe we will start a new tank any suggestions on fish that live a little longer?

I have been debating about dragging my setup back out. My fishies died the last time I moved, and I have not set it up since. I had 2 fish, and a pleco in a 55gal. tank, and had no room for other fish. I had a 16" red belly pacu, and a 12" tiger oscar. It was great watching them tear up a mess of goldfish, or minnows.

My wife, 4 year old girl, and I are avid saltwater enthusiasts. We have a 90 gallon setup, and a 36 gallon bowfront "Nemo" tank.

I have both saltwater and freshwater tanks at this time. A 55 gallon saltwater display tank w/ 30 gallon refugium/sump. Had it up and running for several years w/ many different corals, lobster, shrimp, craps and a few fish when something happened and all but 2 false perculas died. They survived up until one died a few weeks ago and all I have left is one lone poor little clown fish. I am wanting to sell or trade off the saltwater because I have just lost interest in it. I also have a 75 gallon fresh w/ cicalids that continue to breed over and over again. I am going to keep it up and going and want to get it planted and thriving. One thing at a time though.

I have always wanted to have a go at salt water. Trouble is the start up is so expensive. I have been searching for someone who is ready to throw in the towel and just give it up cheap.

Back
Top Bottom