Americas facination of guns

Its because he is the descendant of servants and we are the descendants of free men
Just remember that the Scots have been in the front line of the British Army for centuries and have proved time and again that they are some of the toughest fighters you will ever come across. I wouldn't describe them as servants.

This is why I hate UK'ers. Always interjecting their damn opinions about what goes on here. Never mind our guns, get some dentists and get your ****ing teeth fixed, you shark toothed sons of *****es.

Their teeth arent that bad compared to some people in sec 8 or trailor parks. The biggest issue is they are brainwashed by a protectionist society.

This is why I hate UK'ers. Always interjecting their damn opinions about what goes on here. Never mind our guns, get some dentists and get your ****ing teeth fixed, you shark toothed sons of *****es.

I asked for his opinion and beliefs and why he thinks the way he does and gave mine in return. Your statement is kind of what I'm talking about why you cant have a civil conversation in the US

Oh, gordylew should try some Rugby, see how he does without body armor ;)
Yes, I was invited to play a "friendly" game back in 2001 in Scotland and have a permanently separated shoulder to show for it. Don't know that I would like to be on the field in a serious game. Good folks; don't speak English very well and drive on the wrong side of the road......

True about the police, not so much about strict controls for hundreds of years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting it's ever been quite like America, but easy to own a gun up until the 30's. Post war things got stricter, then really draconian fairly recently.

Since the latest clampdowns firearm crime has continued to increase, unsurprisingly unaffected.

I make these observations from the perspective, that A I'm english, B I owned guns there, C my cousin was a commander at Scotland Yard.

Oh, gordylew should try some Rugby, see how he does without body armor ;)

I look at UK gun control like gas prices.... they swing around due to politics but always end up worse than before.

A long time ago I read a lengthy discussion about UK gun control law, and I seem to remember that the first recognizable 'gun control' law was passed in the 1500s after an assassination attempt on one of the royal family. The laws swung back and forth through the centuries depending on the political environment and whether they were at war with France or not.

Also, British common law has always included the concept of 'due restrictions', which is the basis for most gun control laws in the UK (and Canada, and Australia, and India...). This allowed monarchs and politicians to arbitrarily choose who could have guns and what kinds (once there was more than muskets) were allowed.

Very few gun control laws applied to the 'great and the good' during most periods, but just like blacks in the American South, 'undesirables' like Jews, Catholics or Protestants were strictly forbidden from firearms ownership. Over time those prohibitions were relaxed and new 'undesirables' were singled-out, like the Northern Irish.

One example I remember was from the early 1800s, where a 'vagrancy act' was passed to stamp out the large number of ex-soldiers roaming around the country with weapons they acquired in the wars with Napoleon.

You are right though, it seemed like around 1900 the laws uniformly started restricting firearms more and more, with only a few 'expansions' of the right during WWI and WWII.

Back
Top Bottom