• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aluminum frame wear. HELP needed

gregar

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
39   0
Reaction score
Been considering a LW commander. Aluminum alloy frames apparently are subject to wear. I assume that in the over 65 years they’ve been around that the metallurgy has improved. But I don’t know where or how to look for wear or damage to these frames. Can the ODT brain trust help me?

Lots of conjecture, but little actual meat.

Go with a known good maker and rock on. Got to be better than a plastic gun.

Seriously, from field reports, even 30 year old Colts have suffered little wear after 10 thousand rounds. I would stay with factory loads, and you should be fine.

It just depends how much shooting you want to do with it.

Maybe 10,000 — no worries
Maybe 100,000 - go with a steal frame.

When I used to shoot USPSA matches and Bowling Pins every week - for several years - I fired 2000/month, and I was a light weight.

Check the slide rails, frame’s feed ramp, the area where the slide stops against the frame, make sure the guide rod’s big end has not chewed up the inside of the dust cover, and the pin holes for roundness. I also have a pet peeve against a frame scrubbing the front of the slide, leaving a scratch on the side of the slide between the dust cover and the muzzle.

Even 100,000 is too much for a steel frame. About every 30,000 rounds the slide to frame clearance will start to open up. The rails can be peened 3 times and usually after that they will crack if you peen them a 4th time. If you don't care about max accuracy it is a non issue.

Whiskers, I believe we are saying the same thing. I do not think that the rails will need peening every 30k, but even your example shows about the same life expectancy that I eluded to. On a steel 1911, the slide will likely be what fails, right at the ejection port.

I have only owned one aluminum frame 1911, I did not keep it long enough to find out. The short time that I kept it showed evidence that hollow point bullets beat up the smooth finish on its feed ramp. I think my Sig 226 is as good an aluminum frame as can be found, and it shows a significant amount of wear on its frame slide rails at less than 10,000 rounds fired. I lube it, and clean it, but it still wears significantly faster than a steel gun. You can not even repair aluminum economically, the way you can steel.

I think that is why I have never seen a 10mm Aluminum Framed gun? Maybe there is one, I do not know for sure.

I have a Star PD that I use to shoot in competition. Probably 5000-10,000 rounds. If there is any wear, I can't notice it.

FWIW, accuracy wise, it would shoot with the high dollar guns.

Back
Top Bottom