• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Alternative Heat

Rim fire guy with the cast iron stove reminds me of the cabin we had when I was growing up.
We had a pot bellied stove for heat, we burned wood during the day and would put a shovel or two full of coal in it for the night.

That coal always amazed me, kept us warm all night and became one hot cinder to start a new fire in the morning...... I miss that damned thing.

I have a Geothermal system here in the house. It was already installed when we bought it, and it’s the greatest invention for heating and cooling that I’ve ever seen. At first I was hesitant to buy the house with it, but I can’t say enough about the system. I have no idea what it cost to install, but if you put one in when you are building you’d be doing yourself a big favor in my opinion. When I lived up north we had hot water baseboard heat, and we went through 3-4 tanks of fuel a season with a new furnace. With the Geo I get free heat and cold from the ground.

I would love a wood burning stove in our house. The work to put one in properly is a little off putting though. My granny had one. It would heat her whole house to the point of bloody nose dry when she was left in charge of the dampers. If memory serves me right she would burn about 1 1/2 to 2 cords of wood a year in it. It was me and my cousin job to split it. We went through many splitting mals until papaw bought an all metal one. I learned quick not to miss with that one

Forced air gas. We have two oil filled heaters and one infrared to heat up a couple of rooms without ducts. Grew up with a zero clearance insert. That heated 1800 sq ft easily. I was planning on installing one in my current house but the cost is unrecoverable and I dont have a steady supply of wood anymore. I sure miss sitting on the hearth getting warmed up on a cold day.

We heat our 800 Sq ft cabin home with a small wood burner. About 25 peices for a whole day. Burning seasoned pecan right now from the five trees we lost to hurricane Michael. Of course, in South ga we don't get to use the stove as much as others do.

I just bought a Drolet HT-3000 wood stove. It is awesome. It is high efficiency and burns through 10-12 seasoned oak logs a day. We have ventless propane logs upstairs, If the power goes out, we are set.

Back
Top Bottom