• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

All this talk about 1911 frames...

Dobbs threaded this one...Pretty sure he wont do that again....

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_22_20Can_20Redux_B041b51b48d476abe408878087d0c6bc9936.jpg

Yeah, I saw the vise in a buddy's shop and was like WHERE did you get that!?!?

The small files I have suck, I'm looking for better, will have to check those out. Are the diamond files and good? I have some but haven't found occasion to use them much.

I'm not sure. I haven't used them. The tool steel files at Lowes and I think Northern Tool work great. The Harbor Freight small Jewelry files are either too soft or hard and dull/chip to become worthless.

So I learned a valuable lesson today, several actually.
  • If you order from Mcmaster-Carr early enough in the day, it will be on your doorstep by the time you get home.
  • They charge LESS for this service than Brownells for files and the like.
  • Swiss-pattern files are typically for finer work.
  • The higher the cut number, the higher the number of teeth so it's finer the lower the number the coarser/faster the cut.
  • "Pillar" files have safe edges, meaning there are no teeth so they don't cut on the sides, so these are good for stuff like barrel hoods and the like.
  • While they are not branded on McMaster's website, the files I received were all Nicholson with one particularly nice Grobet.
  • Here's a picture of the files:

From McMaster's site:

[Broken External Image]:

Precision File for Stainless Steel

Rectangular, Finish No. 0, 6" Long
8184A12

Each
$23.34
Each
$23.34
[Broken External Image]:
Rectangular Precision File

Finish No. 4, 4" Long
4251A23

Each
Each
[Broken External Image]:

Finish No. 2, 4" Long
4251A22

Each
Each
[Broken External Image]:

Finish No. 0, 4" Long
4251A19

Each
Each
[Broken External Image]:

Finish No. 4, 6" Long
4251A31

Each
Each
[Broken External Image]:

Finish No. 2, 6" Long
4251A29

Each
Each

I'm still figuring out the files....I really want the needle file set on Mcmaster-Carr's site. The standard set is $160!!! the economy set is $20. I wish there was a "middle class" set.

Come on over, you can look at the ones I got and decide what you like. I think the pillar file is going to come in handy, with the safe edges.

We should def get together. Been traveling a lot lately....gotta pay for the tools and parts somehow I suppose:rolleyes:. Are all their rectangular files "pillar" files? I saw in the description that one edge has grooves while the other doesn't but didn't see the word pillar anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom