• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

All this talk about 1911 frames...

bluesman2a

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
32   0
Reaction score
Made me want to get started on my first full build. I'm going to use this thread to show progress on my build, talk about tools and things that work for me. This is my first full build and I expect to make plenty of mistakes.

So the build itself will be:
full size government frame from STI
with an STI .22 conversion top end
EGW ignition parts
SVI short flat trigger
STI ambi safety
STI grip safety
Ed brown FLAT MSH
Ed brown mag release
Wilson extended slide stop

Abrasives are important when building a 1911. They are a majority of what you will use. I'm no expert, but some things/resources I've found (and if anybody else wants to kick-in more here, I'll try to keep a running list).

Last edited:
This is where I will talk about tools, and/or specialty items I have used or am considering buying:
So what other specialty tools am I missing that are useful?

Last edited:
Are you using "proper" tools or winging it? How did you do the dehorning? Looks like a great start.

It's a bit of a mixed bag really. I started out wanting to use this project to learn how to use my mill and start machining, but thanks to markj markj i started looking at this more as a hand tool project. I will put up a post later, discussing what I've done for each step with some pics.

As for de-horning interesting story: I made some mistakes with a file and left some deep tool marks on the frame I was trying to get rid of. I do a lot of metal fabrication for Jeeps so I have a lot of tools that are focused there. Once I had the tool marks fairly well buffed out, I hit the frame with a surface prep disc (think scotchbright pad) on a die grinder. This gave a nice base polish to the frame, broke the hard lines, and softened things up nicely. The appearance is like a "melt" but less aggressive. I did the smaller areas with a dremel and polishing compound

Looks good so far.. that's going to be one heck of a .22
These new conversions based on the Bob Marvel design are some of the most accurate .22s (or pistols of any caliber). They dominate the line at most Bullseye matches these days. You have to spend pretty big money on a fancy "euro" target pistol to beat them.

Here is the 2011 I made awile back..... One of my favorite pistols to shoot....

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_73BFC035_896F_4609_B51ba835d0183f44678751bdfb2fb65070.jpg

Back
Top Bottom