• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

All this talk about 1911 frames...

Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction!

Only a few odds and ends for my build needed that should be here early next week. I'm in no hurry as I'm just reading right now. I hope I haven't gotten myself in over my head!

I will come back and edit this later, but wanted to start a build/parts checklist:​

1. Top end
    1. Slide
    2. Barrel
    3. Barrel link
    4. Barrel link pin
    5. Bushing
    6. Extractor
    7. Firing pin
    8. Firing pin block
    9. Firing pin spring
    10. Front sight
    11. Rear sight
    12. Guide rod
    13. Recoil spring
    14. Reverse plug
  2. Bottom end
    1. Frame
    2. Grip bushings
    3. Grip screws
    4. Grips
    5. Plunger tube
    6. Plunger tube spring
    7. Slide stop
    8. Pin kit
    9. Ejector
    10. Beavertail grip safety
    11. Thumb safety
    12. Mainspring housing
    13. Main spring
    14. Sear spring
    15. Sear
    16. Disconnector
    17. Hammer
    18. Hammer strut
    19. Trigger
    20. Magazine release
    21. Mag release spring
    22. Mag release catch pin

Last edited:
Got some more work done this afternoon.
  • Got the ejector fitted and pinned.
    • For those of you who have a new ejector that you are fitting that is NOT notched already, some advice I was given recently that worked VERY WELL,
    • Get a NEW 1/16" drill bit.
    • Install the ejector, make sure it's seated all the way down and stays there.
    • Drill from the ejection port side of the frame.
    • Don't go all the way through the frame, just through the ejector.
    • This will give you a perfectly fit/tight ejector notch.
    • Remove the ejector and clean the gunk out of the hole
  • Thanks to some previous work, mentioned above, the slide is fit and functional.
  • More blending on the grip safety. It was sticky and I had to play with it to find out where.
  • Fit hammer and sear up with junk disconnector from my STI Targetmaster, see thread on that here: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/1911-experts-come-on-in-trigger-question.928265/
  • Trigger actually feels pretty good.
  • Did more fitment on the thumb safety. I think I made some scrap here. It does not engage the safety at ALL, regardless of position. I think I took too much off. Not sure what the recovery here is other than getting a new safety. Oh well, it's a learning process.
  • Also blended the rear of the slide/frame together down to the grip beaver tail. The ejectror was sitting fairly high on the rear and had to be filed down quite a bit.
  • Pictures:
    • Note how the slide is even but there is a slight gap. This was part of my previous confusion.

• Observations:
    • So far, I've been very happy with the process.
    • I've made some mis-steps, but have been corrected and/or recovered from them with some help.
    • Some things are going faster than others.
    • Tools. The right tools can make or break this process. I'm still in the process of figuring out what the right tools are for certain jobs.
    • Recent find: the Stanley 83-069M Maxsteel Multi-Angle Base Vise. This thing is AWESOME. it's a small vice that comes with soft jaws that will let you mount it in just about any orientation in 2 axes. I'd highly recommend one if you don't already have something to hold small parts. It can clamp onto the edge of about any surface. It's also not terribly expensive. (I will also update the original tools section back on page 1).

Got some more work done this afternoon.
  • Got the ejector fitted and pinned.
    • For those of you who have a new ejector that you are fitting that is NOT notched already, some advice I was given recently that worked VERY WELL,
    • Get a NEW 1/16" drill bit.
    • Install the ejector, make sure it's seated all the way down and stays there.
    • Drill from the ejection port side of the frame.
    • Don't go all the way through the frame, just through the ejector.
    • This will give you a perfectly fit/tight ejector notch.
    • Remove the ejector and clean the gunk out of the hole
  • Thanks to some previous work, mentioned above, the slide is fit and functional.
  • More blending on the grip safety. It was sticky and I had to play with it to find out where.
  • Fit hammer and sear up with junk disconnector from my STI Targetmaster, see thread on that here: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/1911-experts-come-on-in-trigger-question.928265/
  • Trigger actually feels pretty good.
  • Did more fitment on the thumb safety. I think I made some scrap here. It does not engage the safety at ALL, regardless of position. I think I took too much off. Not sure what the recovery here is other than getting a new safety. Oh well, it's a learning process.
  • Also blended the rear of the slide/frame together down to the grip beaver tail. The ejectror was sitting fairly high on the rear and had to be filed down quite a bit.
  • Pictures:
    • Note how the slide is even but there is a slight gap. This was part of my previous confusion.

• Observations:
    • So far, I've been very happy with the process.
    • I've made some mis-steps, but have been corrected and/or recovered from them with some help.
    • Some things are going faster than others.
    • Tools. The right tools can make or break this process. I'm still in the process of figuring out what the right tools are for certain jobs.
    • Recent find: the Stanley 83-069M Maxsteel Multi-Angle Base Vise. This thing is AWESOME. it's a small vice that comes with soft jaws that will let you mount it in just about any orientation in 2 axes. I'd highly recommend one if you don't already have something to hold small parts. It can clamp onto the edge of about any surface. It's also not terribly expensive. (I will also update the original tools section back on page 1).

That vice is the cat's ass!

Harbor Freight small jewelry type files are crap, at least the ones I got. The small jewelry files at Lowes are good to go.

That vice is the cat's ass!

Harbor Freight small jewelry type files are crap, at least the ones I got. The small jewelry files at Lowes are good to go.

Yeah, I saw the vise in a buddy's shop and was like WHERE did you get that!?!?

The small files I have suck, I'm looking for better, will have to check those out. Are the diamond files and good? I have some but haven't found occasion to use them much.

Back
Top Bottom