• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AK rifle accuracy

From A rest, slow fire, what would your average group size be from an AK-47 at 100 yards?

• better than 2 MOA -- five shots in under a 2" group.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 2-4 minute of angle. Groups the size of TACOS.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • 4" up to 6" group.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • 6" up to 9" group.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9" up to 12 inch group. The size of a dinner plate.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 12" to 15" group-- the size of a pizza.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 16" up to 24"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • From two feet up to the size of a barn door.

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
I am an AK guy.... IMHO... not as accurate as an AR, but much more penetration... Better at closer than 100 yards... At least for me

Also have a couple ARs... maybe I hold these for the longer ranges...

Like the original post said, no optics. Iron sights only.

No premium ammo; no handloads. Ordinary inexpensive range ammo or military surplus only, because that's what we use in real life.

The point of this thread is not "how can you accurize your AK to get top performance," but rather

"what are realistic accuracy expectations for the typical guy's AK rifle
and some of that cheap ammo he's got a bucket full of in his closet?

Like the original post said, no optics. Iron sights only.

No premium ammo; no handloads. Ordinary inexpensive range ammo or military surplus only, because that's what we use in real life.

The point of this thread is not "how can you accurize your AK to get top performance," but rather

"what are realistic accuracy expectations for the typical guy's AK rifle
and some of that cheap ammo he's got a bucket full of in his closet?
All mine were shot with imported 20cpr ammo. Iron sights on ACE are better for accuracy.
If you cannot be bothered to learn a difference between different bucketfulls of cheap ammo, issue is not with a platform, but with a trigger puller.

PS there is a difference in accuracy from a Geissele Super Duty AR and Anderson/Bear Creek AR, same as there is a difference between ACE and WASR.
The average AR in a US closet is not a Geissele, DD or even a Colt. It is cheapest PSA Freedom, Bear Creek or 6 pack night bubba build.

The important lesson here for me is to remember to engage an enemy using AK’s at long range...300 yds out to 600 yds...when I am using sub-moa weapons.
Any weapon that struggles to hit a dinner plate at 100 yds will not hit the proverbial side of a barn at 1k.

The important lesson here for me is to remember to engage an enemy using AK’s at long range...300 yds out to 600 yds...when I am using sub-moa weapons.
Any weapon that struggles to hit a dinner plate at 100 yds will not hit the proverbial side of a barn at 1k.
The only issue with that is that 5.56 loses so much velocity past 300 yrds, especially in sub 14" barrel, that it does not fragment or tumble, it becomes a marginal performer.
IIRC, 8" ARs are less effective past 50 yards. Handy, yes, but not doing a whole lot at 300 to 600 yards.

PS I have never shot an AK that grouped less than 5" at 100 yards. All 7.62x39.
AK74 in 5.45x39 is a whole another story. They are equal to ARs in accauracy, but somewhat lack in penetration with commercial ammo, stradling position between AR and AKM in penetration.

My Bulgarian Cr107 will do better than most,with ammo it likes,the Military Classic 124 grain HP and Brown Bear.This was at 75 yards,but I believe it could hold 2"@ 100.However it was also wearing a 2 1/2 power Leupold as well.Dont think I could do it with irons only.

Attachments

• 20200708_195803.jpg
    20200708_195803.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 9
My Bulgarian Cr107 will do better than most,with ammo it likes,the Military Classic 124 grain HP and Brown Bear.This was at 75 yards,but I believe it could hold 2"@ 100.However it was also wearing a 2 1/2 power Leupold as well.Dont think I could do it with irons only.
Brown Bear is Barnaul made ammo. Check the headstamp, I bet it is the same as Wolf MC. MC is made in Barnaul (better) and Ulyanovsk (worse).

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-01 12:30:48.085010.png

Not sure why the overlay was so small. 2.60 MOA (2.05 inch group)

I had forgot that,but yes I remember hearing that else wear as to why Brown Bear shot so well.Its usually a little pricey,at least in my neck of the woods.I usually buy it when I find it locally,because of its performance in my AK's

Back
Top Bottom