AK Lightning Bolt

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
http://coloradoshootingsportsstore.com/ak-lightning-bolt/

Interesting modification with a definite use. The right hand only operates the safety and fires the weapon, while the left hand swaps mags, runs the bolt and clears malfunctions. Very nice, clean division of tasks.

If it were me, I'd get the Gen2 version then cut off the right-side charging handle, leaving just enough to lock the bolt to the rear in a Krebs-style safety (incorporating a notch to manually grab the base of the charging handle to keep the bolt open).

I'm a big fan of left-side reciprocating charging handles for carbines. For the reasons in the previous paragraph, plus acts as a forward assist. My SIG 556xi has a charging handle that can be moved to either side and I run mine on the left.

Only real drawback I see is the open gap the length of the receiver cover down the left side. Possibility of debris and such entering, although most of us ain't low-crawling around in the mud and muck, so a small concern depending on what is important to you.

The company doing the mod calls the gap a plus, as the increased air flow will cool things down. They would have to come up with a pro for what most folks see as a con, so that's what they came up with. An AK can be run reliably with no receiver cover at all, so the small gap shouldn't be a concern for most of us.

Purists will cry "Foul!" and turn their noses up, but like every single carbine ever invented, the AK ain't perfect. It has its pluses and minuses and I think many will like this mod if they try it. I was fixing to have this done to my Arsenal Inc., but I sold it and transitioned to the SIG 556R instead, then again to the 556xi Russian.

Semper Fi!

Yep, same mod!

I am usually wearing body armor when running a carbine, so the charging handle doesn't poke me, although that would be an issue with some.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Rather than a "hooked" AK charging handle, something knurled and round would be more compfortable, at least for me. Something on the order of a Tromix bolt handle like I used on my Arsenal Inc. It wouldn't dig into you so badly.

When I installed my Tromix handle, I had to file down the charging handle a bit to get the Tromix unit to fit over it. I intentionally removed a bit more metal than necessary, then filled all the open recess in with 2-part steel putty. Even put some in the threads for the set screw. Basically, made it one solid piece and permanent.

I know a guy that used a L1A1 FAL folding charging handle to put a non reciprocating left side handle on his Saiga12 SBS. Very cool mod.

I know a guy that used a L1A1 FAL folding charging handle to put a non reciprocating left side handle on his Saiga12 SBS. Very cool mod.
That is cool! That lightning bolt is ok I suppose but makes the rifle look like a hat rack.

Having a non-reciprocating left side handle would be pretty bad ass.

I like the FAL setup, only issue is that you don't have any sort of forward assist.

Don't care what my carbine LOOKS like, I care how it RUNS!

Back
Top Bottom