• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ak 47 ammo

corvo

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
32   2
Reaction score
Just bought an ak 47 from ODT. Was told by the seller that he only shot steel case rounds and I should use that ammo. Was told by a good friend of mine to only use brass case ammo. Any suggestions from y'all out there in ODT land?

Luckygunner has a great article on the steel vs. brass debate with lots of data. To summarize steel is cheap but will wear your barrel faster. Brass being a softer metal will wear your barrel less but will cost more. So it depends on what you want.

Just bought an ak 47 from ODT. Was told by the seller that he only shot steel case rounds and I should use that ammo. Was told by a good friend of mine to only use brass case ammo. Any suggestions from y'all out there in ODT land?
The brass is easier on the barrel. I recently shot a 38spl with steel cased ammunition. It was nearly impossible to eject the empties without pressing the ejection rod against a wooden surface.
Brass tends to be elastic and is fairly easy to eject. The steel expands to conform to the chamber and stay that way.
The AK was made for rough treatment and the barrel will wear out, a little sooner with steel cases. Save the dime per shot for your next barrel

What kind of barre does the AK have? American made 4150 or Communist Hammer Forged Chrome Lined? If it's the latter unless you are a rich man you will be dead and buried before it wears to the point that you see any noticeable shift in POA/POI. The Owner of Battlefield Las Vegas has a good thread over on arfcom detailing the endurance of american made barrels vs communist barrels. He only uses Wolf steel case ammo, no longer uses any american made AKs or AK built with american made barrels, and has some Romanian barrels that are past 80,000 rounds and are closing on 100,000 rounds and are still going strong. I linked it below, it's worth the read.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AK-47/AK-abuse-update-on-Page-11-/64-159106/?page=1

The Luckygunner test mentioned above was done using Bushmaster ARs and really isn't relative to an AK.

Back
Top Bottom