AITA for not training folks for free?

Any range or property that I've used over the years, I've left better than it was when I got there.

I used to use Fulton Co PD's range. In exchange, I cut the grass on the entire facility. I used their tractor, with their fuel, but my time. I made some repairs to the tractor out of my own pocket, because I didn't want to wait to have the work done by the county.

They needed the gate at the entrance to the facility repaired. One of my students took care of the repairs, and even made some improvements to it. In return, I traded him some training and range time.

Not only did I maintain their rifle range, I greatly expanded it. Using my chainsaw, I took down several large pines, allowing me to cut down more brush, and widen the range by quite a bit. It really enhanced the capabilities of the range.

I built a target holder at 100yds, out of my own pocket. 3 pressure-treated 8' 4x4"s, 2 sheets of plywood, paint, Quikcrete, etc.

A couple of students of mine brought some specialty brush clearing equipment out and used it to cut into areas I couldn't get into with the tractor. In return, I traded them training.

I’m gonna call you out here.

First time I ever spoke to you on here we were joking about something. Can’t remember exactly what, but I remember making a wise crack along the lines of “how about some free training?” I was not being serious and you knew it, but you PM’d me and invited me to join a class you were teaching that weekend in Carrollton. And here’s the kicker…For FREE. Well, I was sure surprised, but of course I took you up on that offer, and enjoyed the hell out that day. I learned more about handgun handling that day than I had ever been taught or ever knew before. I learned it wasn’t so hard, after all. (I was once pretty lousy with a handgun. I’m no Miculek today, but I’m way better than I was)

So yeah, you have done more for the brethren than you probably even remember, but I do remember and I think it is appropriate that others here know about it. Generosity is something I do not forget. I really appreciated it and still do.

In the couple of years following, I paid my price of admission a few times to spend some more of your valuable time to further add to my skill set. I learned a lot from you. I learned how to go home and practice the right way.

I should probably come out again sometime this year and get some more training. I have practiced fairly regularly, but I haven’t been really serious about training in a while. Just lazy, I guess.

So that’s my call out. Whoever said those crappy things about you can, with all due respect, eat a dick.

Thanks

One major problem for the landowner is if someone dies. It doesn't matter if it's the shooter, someone else shooting alongside them or some random other person who just got unlucky. The probability of the landowner being sued by a relative of the victim is frankly a huge liability regardless of any forms signed beforehand. In today's society there are plenty of attorneys who will jump in when they smell blood and money.

I'd love to find a property to target shoot on but I quite understand why that is such a challenge.

Apparently I missed the the train wreck. I can say that as some who has done one of your training days, it was worth every penny and I'm patiently waiting for you to announce another shooting under stress or team carbine training day. My finger is hovering over the "complete payment" button!
Ditto, ready to cash in my credit for another class

No, you're not. Not for that reason anyway. :boink:

8ckm51.jpg

One major problem for the landowner is if someone dies. It doesn't matter if it's the shooter, someone else shooting alongside them or some random other person who just got unlucky. The probability of the landowner being sued by a relative of the victim is frankly a huge liability regardless of any forms signed beforehand. In today's society there are plenty of attorneys who will jump in when they smell blood and money.

I'd love to find a property to target shoot on but I quite understand why that is such a challenge.

It's a shame. I remember the days of knocking on doors and asking farmers if we could shoot the dove in their fields. I wouldn't even waste my time asking nowadays, and I understand their concern.

Lawyers have mucked it all up, in part.

Even having someone sign a release or waiver doesn't mean that you can't get sued. A properly worded release/waiver will lessen your liability, but no piece of paper is a guarantee that you won't get sued.

Even my $3 million insurance policy won't do squat if the insurance company's investigators decide that I was negligent. They'll decide not to cover me, and now I'm footing the bill, whether it's medical, legal, or both.

Back
Top Bottom