Advice Needed- Remington SPS/XCR Long Range & Weatherby .257???

Machine58

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
9   0
Reaction score
All- any advice would be much appreciated here. I am currently in the market for a new general purpose rifle. Let me clarify, general purpose for MY shooting activities time consists of 50% deer hunting, 25%hog hunting, and 25%shooting range time.

My deer/hog hunting rarely exceeds shots from over 400 yards, and effectively that is where I tend to stay around on the range (give or take 100 yards). The deer in Georgia typically are less than 200lbs so either the .308 (sps/xcr long range) should be more than sufficient as would the .257 weatherby magnum.

Here is my main question, do you think I will be ok with the SPS tactical with the 20" barrel for these applications? I have seen them listed for around 600 bucks. Or should I go to the next price point (1000-1200) and get the xcr long range or mark 5 weatherby .257? I have heard that the long range stock and barrel are pretty sweet. I know the weatherby may not be too similar, but I had a weatherby mark v a few years ago and loved it! I know my range time will be limited due to the cost of .257 ammo. Would the weatherby be more versatile with big game hunting if I ever had the chance to go in the future?

I hope I made myself somewhat clear here and any advice is welcome. Pm me if needed. Thanks!

It's difficult to answer a question like yours? We're all different you know?

Range time is what it's all about. I've taken deer at a fer piece using a 7/08.

For an all around rifle the .308 would be much closer for my choosin'.

You're gonna need a good 26"+ of barrel to get the good from a small bore magnum.
I just ain't into long barrels on huntin' rigs myself. A 22" tube is about all I want.

I load my own, so cost of ammo ain't of any real concern, it's just handiness that sways me away from magnums.
Maybe a 30-06, or a .280 Rem.? They perform very well from a 22" tube. On a 20" tube the .308 would be my first choice period!

The .308 is very effective, and efficient enough to work well in a handy size totin/huntin rig?

Chuckdog has good advice. JMO but you are going to have to decide which one you really want. Sometimes our wants out wiegh practicallity. And if you settle for something you won't be happy if it's not what you want. Both are good cartridges. Something else to consider is the 25-06 with the 100 grain barnes if you are a fan of the quarter bore. Shoots flat and mild recoil, and can alos double for a varmit gun with the right bullets.

the 308 is a great round but the 257 weatherbys speed just does something for me. it cost more but reloading can help with that. out to 400yds the weatherby is very flat shooting and more forgiving than the 308 in hunting situations where a quick shot may be needed at 300 plus yds.

I got one of each in a Weatherby Vanguard.Both calibers are great on whitetail but the .308 is easier to find ammo for.The only problem I have with the 257 is the cost of factory ammo.If youre a reloader than that will not be a problem.Brass for the 257 can be costly.Only thing if you go with 257 and you reload for it,dont shoot 70 grain bullets out of it at near max load.They're fast but will not come out of a deer ,even at 175 yards. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom