• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ADVANTAGE ARMS Glock 17/22 Conversion Kit

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
Up for review is an Advantage Arms Glock LE 17/22 .22 LR drop unit. These units allow one to swap the upper receiver on a small frame/full size Glock and shoot inexpensive .22 LR. The unit I have is dimensional correct to the Glock upper and you can even swap the sights out for standard Glock sights or those that you have on your G17/22 carry weapon. With the upper attached any holster that accepts a G17/22 will work with this kit. Link: http://www.advantagearms.com/

i51.tinypic.com_2eam1xg.jpg

i51.tinypic.com_289c35w.jpg

This example has an aluminum slide with steel where it needs to be at. It’s much lighter than a G17/22 but the sight image is basically the same. This design allows the slide to lock back after the last round. It allows you to train with inexpensive ammo and work on developing your pistol craft skill set. It does not however duplicate the recoil of a 9mm or .40 S&W. With your G17/22 lower you work/train with the same trigger, magazine button, slide release switch and employ the same immediate action in the event of failure, more on that soon.

i56.tinypic.com_16a7ji8.jpg

i52.tinypic.com_s2dvf5.jpg

It comes in a nice hard case with a 10 round magazine, cleaning kit, CLP, easy loader tool and the cost is around $300.

Why only 10 stinking rounds? Here is a modification of the 10 round magazine for an increased 15 round capacity magazine. The detailed link: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...ine-10-rd-advantage-arms.454026/#post-2458643

i39.tinypic.com_w9jzb9.jpg

I know you can buy a whole .22 pistol for that but not one that so closely mirrors the G17/22. Tactical solutions also makes a .22 LR kit that the locks the slide to the rear and is priced to compete with the Advantage Arms and it comes with a 15 round magazine. I think the slide is steel and the recoil is reduced more so than the AA unit. AA magazines can fairly easily be modified to accept 13-15 rounds. Ciener makes a .22 LR drop in kit and it does not lock the slide.

The AA unit has a reputation of being a finicky feeder and AA recommends solid 40 grain Remington Golden Bullets or CCI Mini Mags. It states to avoid Federal bulk packs. I tried/tested several types of ammo and indeed the Remington and CCI functioned best but after a couple of hundred rounds it started jamming even with recommended ammo. The most commonly encountered jam was empty fired case fully in the chamber and the next round jammed into the feeding ramp.

A web search on Glock Talk identified the issues: (1). the right side magazine lip caught the empty as it was attempting to eject. (2). The extractor was a bit beefy and when slide forward in battery the extractor came up a bit and wasn’t gripping the rim as best as it could. A bit of filing and fitting corrected these issues and now it will feed even HP federal bulk ammo reliably. Link: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009833&page=3

i52.tinypic.com_rauqgg.jpg

I could live with it as it was but the corrective action didn’t cost anything and makes ammo choice much easier. I really love this kit as does my son who also trains with it. It’s a good starting point when training folks who never fired a gun before and allows them to become familiar with the required steps to engage it on target. The switch to 9mm is an easy transition for the new shooter. It is really more accurate than the 9mm or I just seem to shoot it better. AA will thread a barrel for you too if you want to use a suppressor. All in all it is a really nice kit that allows you even more trigger time and that is always a good thing.

Last edited:
Good review, well done. What type of tools did you use?
I have started to use .22's more heavily in the last year when teaching classes & although the Rem. G.B.'s work well the Fed. bulk pack is easier to find so I think I will do this mod. to my gun & mags.
Thanks for the good review post.

Protective Measures,

I used a safe file that came in the Kart Easy Fit kit and a small dremel stone on the extractor. I'd take a bit off and put the upper together and check to see if the ramp on the barrel lifted it. I went as far as I felt safe and stopped. I only took metal off the area hitting the ramp and not off the extractor tip. It shows up pretty good on the pic but if you need I can send you more pics. It still lifts a tiny bit but nothing like when I started.

For the magazines I duct taped off areas to protect them and with a large flat file, I removed some of the meat on the right side of the magazine. I used the drag marks present after firing several hundred rounds to guide the plastic removal. Very easy and might be the most important part of modification.

Soviet-I think you might have a full size small frame Glock laying around somewhere for an AA kit. Lots of cheap fun but your girl might kick her/your Ruger to curb for this one.

Protective Measures,

I used a safe file that came in the Kart Easy Fit kit and a small dremel stone on the extractor. I'd take a bit off and put the upper together and check to see if the ramp on the barrel lifted it. I went as far as I felt safe and stopped. I only took metal off the area hitting the ramp and not off the extractor tip. It shows up pretty good on the pic but if you need I can send you more pics. It still lifts a tiny bit but nothing like when I started.

For the magazines I duct taped off areas to protect them and with a large flat file, I removed some of the meat on the right side of the magazine. I used the drag marks present after firing several hundred rounds to guide the plastic removal. Very easy and might be the most important part of modification.

Soviet-I think you might have a full size small frame Glock laying around somewhere for an AA kit. Lots of cheap fun but your girl might kick her/your Ruger to curb for this one.

It says it will fit on the 17L . I know they make them for the 19.

Soviet,

Yeah brother the kits fit nearly all the Glocks but are separated by Full size small frame, Full size large frame, compact small frame, compact large, sub-compact small, sub-compact large. They are making a Gen 4 kit as the older kits don't work on Gen 4's. Lastly they don't support the G36 slim frame.

good review RamRod !!

Seriously thinkin of gettin a G17 lower for one of these AA units as they are the only ones that seem to be available without backorder for the Glocks ...

Last edited:
Redneckcamo,

These are great trainers, accurate and loads of fun to shoot. My son (age 16) loves it. When he transitions to the G17 9mm it's too easy for him and myself included. What's up with the avitar? She is wearing way to much clothing for you, isn't she.:p

Back
Top Bottom