• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester Wildcat (10/22 Alternative) Some Thoughts

GeorgiaShooter

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
43   0
Reaction score
Bought this a few years back to potentially give to grand daughter as she grows older. I also have women in the family who attend Appleseed and the 10/22s just didn't run reliably enough in my opinion to run that multiple magazine course without issues creeping in regularly. The wildcat can use 10/22 mags but their mags are way better. They also lock back on last round with a bolt release on the left side. Plus you can release mags with a regular lever underneath or by sliding the two red side bars which makes mag changes far quicker.

The bolt and action break open instantly for cleaning. The striker fired trigger isn't super slick but ultra safe and reliable ignition. The main thing I like is the short length and insanely light weight. With a sling added it feels like you're carrying a feather. If you use hasty sling technique it shoots very accurate and stable in the woods. I threw different brands of ammo at it with great success and reliability. I cycles ammo I could never run reliably in my 10/22.

I still adore the Ruger and believe a really good one can be more pleasurable to own. At the same time this is like the Glock of rifles and it removes every headache but the actual shooting which is up to you. I had to get on the MidwayUSA notify list in order to buy extra mags. I wanted the lock back feature and the increased reliability. These mags aren't sloppy and inconsistent like my newer model Ruger mags which were clear and black.

I know lot's of reviews are out there but not from people who have owned one for a while. I shot the appleseed course with it. I had never shot the course before and made an almost perfect score. This would be a superb lady or child gun for Appleseed, in the truck gun for critters or lighten your load in the woods. They have a threaded barrel version but a suppressor would ruin the balance and whole purpose imo.

I have at least 500 rounds without even the first malfunction. Even 4 cent bulk runs like a charm. I scored this one on grabagun. I've thought about wrapping or finishing it in multicam but the grey is very hard to see in the woods too. It can punch MOA at 50-75 and 100 it can consistently knock down the tiny animal steel targets. Equal to many stock 10/22s excluding customs. I'd call it 1-2" moa.

The integrated top rail makes swapping from scope to red dot very easy. Shooting this with the little red dot is a real treat. Good gun for training youths, plinking, hunting or survival. Especially considering the reliability and feeding.

1665582402130.png

Back
Top Bottom