• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Acworth residents heads up.. gas pump kindnapping foiled.

5AD48863-3CCB-47F8-8DED-17C112E05BED.jpeg

Perhaps they saw the sign and thought they were suppose to grab someone? :confused2:

You can still use force to stop a forcible felony.
If he fears for her life or his own, ain't he legally allowed to kill em both?

You can still use force to stop a forcible felony.

You don't have to be 'in fear of your life" in Georgia, you can use deadly force to stop the commission of a forcible felony which might reasonably result in bodily harm. Even the victim doesn't have to actually have to have a fear for his or her life, as long as the conduct of the criminal meets the standard.

Frankly in the situation in the OP, the last thing on my mind would be making a "citizens arrest" on two violent criminals. I am intrigued at what persuasive engagement you would use to obtain compliance with your demand that they halt, and surrender. If you employ deadly force, then you have already moved beyond "citizens arrest".

I work about two miles from this store, the Racetrac across the street and the shopping center behind the Racetrac seem to have some pretty questionable people daily.

You don't have to be 'in fear of your life" in Georgia, you can use deadly force to stop the commission of a forcible felony which might reasonably result in bodily harm. Even the victim doesn't have to actually have to have a fear for his or her life, as long as the conduct of the criminal meets the standard.

Frankly in the situation in the OP, the last thing on my mind would be making a "citizens arrest" on two violent criminals. I am intrigued at what persuasive engagement you would use to obtain compliance with your demand that they halt, and surrender. If you employ deadly force, then you have already moved beyond "citizens arrest".
As far as the incident goes in the op...
The "halt" part would be the only real result I would expect or desire. If they halt but won't surrender, and start to flee, it is unlikely that I would attempt to detain them. If our justice system wasn't so upside down things may be different of course.

Every situation is different, and detainment may be an action I would take, given the right ingredients.

As far as the incident goes in the op...
The "halt" part would be the only real result I would expect or desire. If they halt but won't surrender, and start to flee, it is unlikely that I would attempt to detain them. If our justice system wasn't so upside down thing would be different of course.

Every situation is different, and detainment may be an action I would take, given the right ingredients.

The point being that if they don't "halt". you have no option but to employ the use of deadly force.

If the felon ceases his felonious assault and beats feet, you ( or a police officer) are not authorized to use deadly force on a fleeing felon.

The point being that if they don't "halt". you have no option but to employ the use of deadly force.

If the felon ceases his felonious assault and beats feet, you ( or a police officer) are not authorized to use deadly force on a fleeing felon.

We agree. That's exactly as I see it.
I'm talking about any type of force for detainment. I just would not do it. If the attempted crime has stopped, that's all I could hope for. Shooting as they are fleeing? Nah...No way.

I'm pretty sure there are instances where an officer could legally shoot a perp who is fleeing. If they just robbed a bank and are running towards a shopping mall...just a hypothetical. I know it has happened before and the shooting was justified.

Gotta love the morons that roll up to the gas pump blasting their favorite music for everyone else to NOT enjoy.

When this happens I’ll treat it like a staged distraction and look around for possible nefarious characters.

Yep, there’s a fine line that separates paranoia from from a real threat.

Not that it's important, but for clarification. That particular QT at the intersection of Wade Green and Hickory Grove is in unincorporated Kennesaw. Jurisdiction is Cobb County PD (Zone 1 PCT). Or that area was when I worked Cobb E911.

She should file a report at the Zone 1 Precinct near McCollum Field (Cobb Cty Airfield). Sadly, that QT isn't far from the house. Area has changed in 23 years. Just waiting on my daughter, son-in-law and grandson to settle down before we make our final move.

About 3 weeks ago a couple of miles from there at Hickory grove and Baker rd a liquor store owner was robbed then shot. This whole area is going down hill. The liquor store is less than a mile from the house.

Back
Top Bottom