active shooter scenario

There's a lot to consider if you want to try and be a hero. If all of your bullets don't hit the mark you're legally responsible for every one. What if police or another armed citizen shoot you? What if you accidentally shoot another armed citizen? What if your presence slows police response leading to more people getting killed. (Yes they are going to stop to disarm, frisk and hog tie you before moving on) I've been talking to a lot of LEO and MIL about this very subject lately. I'm putting together a program we will offer for free at my gun club called "Active Shooter for the Armed Citizen. East Ellijay Police Chief told me the other day "if my guys get a call about an active shooter at the Walmart and when they show up your the first guy with a gun they see you're getting shot".

I'd also like to point out that sadly the vast majority of gun owners don't even have near the skill set or mind set necessary to act successfully in such a situation?
But I'll also concede that anyone can get lucky on any given day and the best trained person can get unlucky on any given day.

you're exactly right, that the majority of gun owners -- and those who concealed carry -- don't have the first clue how to tactically deploy their weapon in a safe an effective manner. AND that sadly applies to many LEOs as well. I've got family who do annual training for LEOs in a metro department and the stories of their stupidity with firearms make for regularly holiday laughs. Lots of these guys do their annual qualifying and don't put a round through the gun otherwise.

I've had training (not enough by my standard, but is there such thing as enough?), and i regularly have the conversation wiht a close friend who is a LEO about this topic -- specifically as it pertains to our church. We, and several others, carry at church. We regularly discuss that there is not a safe way to engage a threat/active shooter based on the lay out of our building -- background risks, over penetration, etc.

In my 20s when i had just gotten my GWL I thought i was gonna be wyatt earp if some bad guy went all LA Bank Robbery any where near me. Now i know 2 things should I encounter an Active Shooter 1) the safety of my family is top priority, and 2) If i can get away with out deploying a weapon I will seek to do so. If i ever have to get to an option #3 (deploying weapon), I pray for judicious marksmanship, and LEO first responders with great judgment and discretion --- but when i hear "police" yelled, you can rest assured I'll be spread eagle, face down on the ground with my gun tossed aside.

Henry County has 1 upcoming

Henry County Government, under the direction of the Emergency Management Agency, will be having an Active Shooter Drill on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 between 7 a.m. and 12 noon at the Henry County Administration Building located at 140 Henry Parkway. Employees should report to work early on that day as checkpoints will be set up on Henry Parkway with police barricades to keep non-employees out and away from the building. The Administration Building, including the Tax Commissioner’s Office, will be closed from 8 a.m. until noon. The Tax Commissioner’s Office will reopen to the public at 1:30 p.m. All other offices in the Administration Building will reopen at 12 noon.

Employees should park in their usual parking spaces, however the only access to the building will be through the front doors of the building. All employees will go through a metal detector and need to have their employee IDs with them. No non-credentialed person will be allowed on the premises during the drill. There will be golf carts to take employees from their parking spaces to the front of the building if need be. Please plan to be in the building by 8 a.m.

According to drill organizers, the exercise will be very realistic. Employees in the Administration Building should expect to hear loud noises, yelling and possible simulated smoke. There will also be CERT volunteers playing the parts of elected officials, as well as victims. Although this is a drill to gauge our preparedness as a county, we ask you to please take the drill seriously and act as you would in the event a real, active shooter emergency.

Henry County has 1 upcoming

Henry County Government, under the direction of the Emergency Management Agency, will be having an Active Shooter Drill on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 between 7 a.m. and 12 noon at the Henry County Administration Building located at 140 Henry Parkway. Employees should report to work early on that day as checkpoints will be set up on Henry Parkway with police barricades to keep non-employees out and away from the building. The Administration Building, including the Tax Commissioner’s Office, will be closed from 8 a.m. until noon. The Tax Commissioner’s Office will reopen to the public at 1:30 p.m. All other offices in the Administration Building will reopen at 12 noon.

Employees should park in their usual parking spaces, however the only access to the building will be through the front doors of the building. All employees will go through a metal detector and need to have their employee IDs with them. No non-credentialed person will be allowed on the premises during the drill. There will be golf carts to take employees from their parking spaces to the front of the building if need be. Please plan to be in the building by 8 a.m.

According to drill organizers, the exercise will be very realistic. Employees in the Administration Building should expect to hear loud noises, yelling and possible simulated smoke. There will also be CERT volunteers playing the parts of elected officials, as well as victims. Although this is a drill to gauge our preparedness as a county, we ask you to please take the drill seriously and act as you would in the event a real, active shooter emergency.

So you want us to engage and stop the threat with deadly force? I don't think whoever made that statement thought it through too well...

I wouldn't be too worried about the cops If you come face to face with someone like that . If he's still actively shooting odds are no one has even completed a 911 call yet. The so called " hybrid " situation where a citizen and law enforcement are both shooting at the same bad guy is a myth perpetuated by anti gun cops and police unions who wish to preserve the governments monopoly of force.

Back
Top Bottom