active shooter scenario

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Has anybody taken a training class or attended a lecture about an "active shooter" scenario?
The hypothetical is that at your place of work, or your school, or the mall, or whatever, you are minding your own business when you hear gunshots and people are screaming and you quickly establish that some nutcase (let's assume just one or two, not a whole platoon of Al Queida operatives) is shooting up the place, killing anybody and everybody he happens to encounter.

Marietta, GA police had two sets of lectures on this subject recently.
http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2015/12/10/marietta-police-plan-second-active-shooter-survival-seminar/

Cherokee County has done such training for its citizens, too, this year:
http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/72388380-story

I watched some videos about this on the internet, and what they teach is basically this:

1-- run away. Get out of the kill zone and leave the facility to avoid even seeing the gunman if you can.

2-- hide. If you can't leave the facility, hide deep somewhere that the bad guy is not likely to see you and where he would not want to take the time and trouble of searching for you. Hide in closets, storage rooms, kitchens, inside big cabinets or storage lockers-- any place that the gunman isn't expecting to find a crowd of people. He would prefer to shoot groups of people, not individuals that he has to hunt for and find one at a time.

3-- Obstruct the path to your hiding spot. Lock doors as you pass through them. Block the walkway. Make it difficult for the bad guy to follow you. Even if he "could" go over or through the barriers you put up, it may not be worth his time and trouble. He could choose to march off in another direction looking for easier victims, preferably groups of victims.

4-- If the evil person intent on murder and public massacre finds your hiding spot and is determined to get you, be just as determined to get him or go down trying. Don't huddle in the corner waiting to get shot. Find something sharp and try to stab or slash him with it. Find something heavy and throw it at him. If he's facing away from you trying to kill somebody else, run up to him with a steel pipe and smash the base of his skull. Jump on him and gouge his eyes out, stick a pen or pencil in his ear, hit him in the throat with a broom stick, etc. If you have nothing to use as a weapon, go bare-handed and hope other "victims" will join in. Pile on, and twist, stomp, or break every part of his body you can reach. Especially the genitals, throat, and eyes.

P.S. Special Circumstance-- an Armed Citizen: The classes won't talk about what to do if you're an armed citizen, but according to other sources in law enforcement (I've talked to multiple LEO's about this scenario), they say the armed citizen should still follow all the steps above, and only use the gun in step #4 when the bad guy finds your hiding spot, or in scenario #1 if he intercepts you while you are trying to flee and you can't get away from him. Then you can shoot him, then immediately put down your weapon and follow the instructions of any law enforcement officers at or who will soon be arriving on the scene. You don't want to be mistaken for one of the bad guys and shot by the cops.
(I don't think the LEO advice on this point is good for society-- it may be good for your personal safety, but society in general is better off if armed citizens with decent sized carry guns and the skills to use them effectively would go to where the bad guy is and try to shoot him down. Nothing foils the plans of bad guys expecting helpless victims like one or more victims trying to kill them back.)

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160328_ecf9bc91fa8fd29af95da1559afd90e1.jpg

Georgia has a "stand your ground" law. You are allowed to use deadly force in the protection of yourself or others in such cases where lives are in immediate danger. If you are carrying, and find yourself in an active shooter scenario, you have the legal right to take the bad guy down. I would suggest attending a few IDPA meets. Yes, a lot of the guys there are just into competition. But, at the heart of it, IDPA is supposed to give you more "real world" type training than just standing stationary shooting at a fixed target directly in front of you.

DHS suggest RUN, HIDE,FIGHT
Several sites on Google search. Used for educational purposes.
Good if LEO is offering local training, but they will probably leave many questions unanswered for liability purposes.

I honestly think it would just boil down to the armed citizen at the time it happens. Some will run, some will ensure their family/friends get out and some will head towards the threat to intervene. Tough call unless you're there and it's going down.

To be completely honest, I'd be way more concerned with being harmed by friendly fire (Police) than the bad guy. Then the hours or days of hassle while they accuse you of everything under the sun and try to connect you to the event somehow would be infuriating.

tumblr_na7cqaKx4k1r9crdvo1_1280.jpg

I honestly think it would just boil down to the armed citizen at the time it happens. Some will run, some will ensure their family/friends get out and some will head towards the threat to intervene. Tough call unless you're there and it's going down.

To be completely honest, I'd be way more concerned with being harmed by friendly fire (Police) than the bad guy. Then the hours or days of hassle while they accuse you of everything under the sun and try to connect you to the event somehow would be infuriating.

View attachment 723876
Yep. My POV is; NO one is going to give you a hall pass to "operate" in such a situation. Yes, know all you can, have plenty of options and act smartly. There are no guaranteed outcomes. In the end, you're going to have to live and die with what you do. Nobody else is going to carry that for you. But I think "tactical priority" would be good to keep in mind; worry about the guy shooting at you FIRST, then deal with the other stuff.

Just wondering what these lectures sound like in places that have MUCH more history with active shooter scenarios than the US? Like Israel, for example.

This is simple. GET YOU A** out of there. You know when something is not right. If someone comes at you with deadly force. The law ( for the most part) is on your side.

This is simple. GET YOU A** out of there. You know when something is not right. If someone comes at you with deadly force. The law ( for the most part) is on your side.
But even "get your ass out of there" is not that simple anymore. Consider the possibility of multiple attackers and a plan to "herd" victims to an ambush or blast point.

I teach a 3 level course (2 days per level) called Residential Room Clearing & Reaponse to Active Shooter.

Level 1: discussions, walk throughs, and scenarios

Level 2: force-on-force

Level 3: live-fire shoothouse

There's a lot to consider if you want to try and be a hero. If all of your bullets don't hit the mark you're legally responsible for every one. What if police or another armed citizen shoot you? What if you accidentally shoot another armed citizen? What if your presence slows police response leading to more people getting killed. (Yes they are going to stop to disarm, frisk and hog tie you before moving on) I've been talking to a lot of LEO and MIL about this very subject lately. I'm putting together a program we will offer for free at my gun club called "Active Shooter for the Armed Citizen. East Ellijay Police Chief told me the other day "if my guys get a call about an active shooter at the Walmart and when they show up your the first guy with a gun they see you're getting shot".
I'd also like to point out that sadly the vast majority of gun owners don't even have near the skill set or mind set necessary to act successfully in such a situation? But I'll also concede that anyone can get lucky on any given day and the best trained person can get unlucky on any given day.

Back
Top Bottom