acceptable weight difference in loaded pistol ammo

misfire270

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
10   0
Reaction score
When loading ammo on a progressive press what is acceptable Difference in finished weight of rounds. I notice with the powder throwers that it is not real accurate round for round .I use a powder checker to make sure they are charged but see small difference. What is normal?

You can't really weigh loaded ammo, there are too many variants. You could have differences in bullet weight, case weight, charge weight. Best thing to do is throw 10 rounds worth of powder into your pan and weigh it, divide by 10 and that's roughly what each round is getting for powder. Some are going to be a little more some are going to be a little less but the average weight is what you want.

I weigh my first 10 or so charges individually when I start a run using a lee powder charge, and if very consistent will spot check every 4th round thereafter. That way in case something does get off you only have to worry about pulling a lot of bullets just the 4.
It may take a little extra time, but it's worth imo.

Well it depends on caliber because you can't say a weight in general you have to look at it as precents. A 5 grain difference in a .25 auto would effect accuracy more than a 5 grain difference in a 500 s&w. Also it depends on if your just plinking or if your group shooting. When I load for my rifles I weigh my bullets and sometimes even weigh my brass and group it all accordingly. Lol I'm not sure if it makes much difference but it can't hurt.

Last edited:
That's what I'm seeing .the bulletweights are real consistent but the brass is not at all. Even all same brand cases are up to 5.0 grain difference.it just troubles me when I see the powder checker real low then you gotta pull the next two and get it back in order you definitely.have to pay close attention, I thought I would just weigh all of them after they were loaded, and see that they can be quite a bit different. Thanks for the input, experience is always the best teacher

i use a small funnel inside my powder charger,this lets just a little powder in to replenish when it drops.
if you start with a full tube it throws heavy to start then light as it gets to the bottom,this keeps the weight off when it drops powder and keeps it more controllable.
if you have an electronic scale go ahead and weigh bullets and cases before you start and seperate accordingly

Yes on the electronic scale. It also needs to go through it's. Warm up cause it will make a difference. Mine is a Lyman with the powder measureer . I definitely Seperate cases and load only one kind at a time.and for rifle I as well do weigh and seperate bullets and brass I think it does make a difference. That and a good rifle with a nice trigger will give you nice tight groups.

Back
Top Bottom