• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

I’ve had to heat a receiver AND seat the barrel with a plastic-coated dead blow hammer before.

You can’t heat the receiver past 225 degrees before you run the risk of damaging it, so you can only get it so hot.

You can run into issues where the barrel is designed to be thermal-fitted, AND it’s a bit on the large side of tolerances, AND the receiver is a bit on the small side of tolerances. In that case, you have the choice of forcing the barrel home, or swapping receivers/barrels until you get a “looser” fit.

I had to seat the barrel in that manner on my primary AR. Been running that gun for 2 years now with now issues. She’s accurate and reliable.
If you run into this problem again just run by Publix and get some dry ice. Drop the barrel in it for 20-30 minutes and it may just drop right in, especially if you warm the upper a bit.

Now, it may never come out....

If you run into this problem again just run by Publix and get some dry ice. Drop the barrel in it for 20-30 minutes and it may just drop right in, especially if you warm the upper a bit.

Now, it may never come out....

I’ve gone the freeze the barrel/heat the receiver route before. Even that does not always work.

I’ve had to heat a receiver AND seat the barrel with a plastic-coated dead blow hammer before.

You can’t heat the receiver past 225 degrees before you run the risk of damaging it, so you can only get it so hot.

You can run into issues where the barrel is designed to be thermal-fitted, AND it’s a bit on the large side of tolerances, AND the receiver is a bit on the small side of tolerances. In that case, you have the choice of forcing the barrel home, or swapping receivers/barrels until you get a “looser” fit.

I had to seat the barrel in that manner on my primary AR. Been running that gun for 2 years now with now issues. She’s accurate and reliable.

So the recipe is smoke at 225 for 2 hrs and insert barrel. Add oak for the strongest results.

Had a customer bring in the worst-assembled lower I've ever seen. He said it was assembled for him by a co-worker. He brought it in because the trigger wasn't resetting.

It had 2 receiver end plates. Castle nut was slightly over finger-tight, and was not staked. Whatever he used to "tighten" the castle nut chewed up the wrench notches in several places.

IMG_7138.jpeg

He was one revolution shy of screwing the receiver extension fully into the receiver. It failed to retain the buffer retainer, which had launched itself into the FCG.

The takedown pin had a spring, but no detent.

IMG_7139.jpeg

Trigger spring was installed improperly.

IMG_7140.jpeg
IMG_7143.jpeg

He bent the hammer spring so badly that it wouldn't return to normal.

IMG_7141.jpeg

He had polished the engagement surfaces of the trigger to an excessive degree. Hard to tell in the pic, but when he polished it he heated the surfaces up enough to change the color. Also, the surfaces were no longer square. Triggers are surface hardened. In my opinion, this was polished enough that it was quite likely completely through the hardened layer, and into the softer steel underneath.

IMG_7144.jpeg
IMG_7145.jpeg

Had a customer bring in the worst-assembled lower I've ever seen. He said it was assembled for him by a co-worker. He brought it in because the trigger wasn't resetting.

It had 2 receiver end plates. Castle nut was slightly over finger-tight, and was not staked. Whatever he used to "tighten" the castle nut chewed up the wrench notches in several places.

View attachment 5780085

He was one revolution shy of screwing the receiver extension fully into the receiver. It failed to retain the buffer retainer, which had launched itself into the FCG.

The takedown pin had a spring, but no detent.

View attachment 5780088

Trigger spring was installed improperly.

View attachment 5780089View attachment 5780091

He bent the hammer spring so badly that it wouldn't return to normal.

View attachment 5780092

He had polished the engagement surfaces of the trigger to an excessive degree. Hard to tell in the pic, but when he polished it he heated the surfaces up enough to change the color. Also, the surfaces were no longer square. Triggers are surface hardened. In my opinion, this was polished enough that it was quite likely completely through the hardened layer, and into the softer steel underneath.

View attachment 5780099View attachment 5780100
Geez.... you're soooo critical

Back
Top Bottom