• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A New Model Old Model Blackhawk

After four coats of urethane rubbed in and cut back level and to the woods surface, the urethane is final polished with fff compound. After which, the first coats of hard wax are buffed into the wood by hand until hot and dry then rubbed out with clean terry. About 4 to six coats of wax will be rubbed in over the next day or so. The Glop is gone and the wood neither looks garish nor wavy. The feel is satin smooth and warm to the touch. Not cold like a shiny bar top. The shape is good. The fit is good. The grip is solid and the barrel to grip centerline runs along my arm bone without deviating left or right. Should make for a good pointer. And with the bit of swell up top in the grips, should handle recoil a bit better for me. A bit of arthritis in the fingers and gripping becomes more of a chore each year. No where near as beautiful as Afzelia Xylay in the alligator pattern but just fine for me and I'll leave this as is and move out front. Finally, the new steel and shorter ERH is inbound from the parts house, soon I can decide on barrel length and front sight options.

i.imgur.com_UNUIfit.jpg

i.imgur.com_yiQuYVn.jpg

i.imgur.com_eeQLg9N.jpg

i.imgur.com_d0DdZeL.jpg

i.imgur.com_Md41XRh.jpg

i.imgur.com_fukrCnX.jpg

i.imgur.com_nmpBWrF.jpg

A bit of finish work on the try sight ramp. Knocking off the sharp edges for a smoother less ruger square/sharp/blocky look.

Along the serrated portion of the ramp the edges are lightly filed to a 45 degree angle

i.imgur.com_pVWpZvD.jpg

and then bootstrapped with 120 grit to create a rounded over edge.

i.imgur.com_NKoixkB.jpg

The parallel edges on the dovetail portion do not need beveled over with the file. A simple kiss, bootstrap style with 120g is sufficient to soften and round over the sharp edges.

i.imgur.com_f4lCI19.jpg

Very small changes add up over all. The ramp remains substantial yet looks much less blocky. All that's left is to smooth over the nose out front.

i.imgur.com_7Bw9SOx.jpg

Back from ol kantuck....a couple days on my hands....so I planted 29 bulbs out front and got a buncha wild flowers and sunflowers to do yet but some time on the New Model Old Model too......

Sheriff length Vaquero steel ERH arrived today.......compared to the original steel full length ERH on this gun.....

i.imgur.com_jjKPWKj.jpg

Flame wrench and a good pipe full......the front sight has to come off it shorten the barrel and to jig the barrel for a new hole for the shorter ERH.

i.imgur.com_NZ8scy6.jpg

Jigged up and I use a dull drill and a small mallet to mark the spot I previously measured out and intented....if the dull bit just turns off the color around the divot I made, the jig is properly aligned for drilling the 6x48 hole for my typical stud and nut arrangement on the ERH.

i.imgur.com_WMy44Jf.jpg

After drilling about 1/10" deep I tap it 6x48 with bottoming taps and I get just over 4 threads....plenty.

i.imgur.com_Tx7uXGd.jpg

New 6x48 hole left....factory 8x36 hole right (the old ones had factory 8x40 holes....don't know why they changed....finer threads hold better in my opinion.)

i.imgur.com_lYnGKGk.jpg

The new Vaquero Sheriff ERH is test fitted, its spot on....

i.imgur.com_jIeMR1R.jpg

The muzzle is squared and crowned using piloted hand tools. I'll shorten a bit later and crown deeper too. Final touch will be rounding over the circumference of the barrel so the edge is not sharp and scraping into the holster or cutting fingers in cleaning chores.

i.imgur.com_CkaGl1d.jpg

With a little black max adhesive, the rough front sight ramp is placed on the barrel to get the overall look.....the ramp will need some more rounding and smoothing.

i.imgur.com_8IiQv1D.jpg

i.imgur.com_xast3hy.jpg

i.imgur.com_OqS5uxg.jpg

Last edited:
You have poured a poured a part of yourself into this gun, the handle grips are simply amazing, it looks like you have covered them with either gator, or ostrich, what an eye catching project you have created. You may have a little problems with your hands that you stated however no one could ever tell, a great , and the time you have spent on this certainly shows.

Can't wait to see your next project.

Thanks for sharing.....

Thanks. I ordered in another 3 Screw 357, was thining a revolving rifle project but I'm likely going to need a .223 rifle instead for grandaughter #2 to hunt with this year. Ah well, I'll keep a motorin on this one and get it to ready status and then redo the kids .410 Mod 67A for small game season and maybe this fall get to that revolving blackhawk carbine project.

I think it was almost punk when I was working that barrel. Morrisee/The Smiths as I recall....so, early alternative?

How soon is now? apropos as I want it done soonest?

Back
Top Bottom