• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A lil help fellas....

1. You need a "virgin" lower that has never had a buttstock or a lower that is specifically marked as a pistol lower.
2. Just owning the short upper and having it in the same house as a full size AR without owning a pistol lower is enough to classify you as having illegally manufacturing an SBR in the eyes of the ATF. As an example if you own a glock and buy one of those KPOS stock kits, even if you NEVER ASSEMBLE IT the ATF still says you built an SBR and NFA rules apply/if you get caught you're going to jail.

That seems crazy... what about gun stores... if they store lowers and uppers in the building are they officially SBRs?

You can build it as a pistol from a virgin lower, then apply to build a sbr from that pistol. You only have to pay the $200 on the sbr, and since it started as a pistol you can legally convert it back and forth if you want after you get your tax stamp. There's a thread stickied about it on nfa. At least this is my understanding of it all, dont go committing a Federal offense on my word!

1. You need a "virgin" lower that has never had a buttstock or a lower that is specifically marked as a pistol lower.

Wrong, see the Atf letter above, if someone never put a 16" barrel on it, the buffer tube and stock can be replaced with a pistol buffer

Leatherhead the ATF will know if it had the upper on it if you bought it with the upper on it or your dealer messed up and marked rifle instead if other on the form. Or of course if they read your OP.

Maybe ill just send in the Form 1 and wait on it to come back to start playing. I was going to enjoy it as a pistol, but it seems like too much of a hassle.

Thanks again fellas!

Back
Top Bottom