• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A lil help fellas....

Leatherhead

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
709   0
Reaction score
Alright. This is my first dabble with the Class III world. I'm learning as I go here...

I had my stock 16" AR that I wanted to make into an SBR. I have already traded my upper for a 6.5 pistol upper and my Form 1 is about to be mailed...don't worry, the upper and lower can't even see each other in my house...

So my question is this...can I put a pistol buffer on my lower and use it as a pistol untill my stamp comes back? Or is that a whole other can of worms? I've seen somethin about a 'virgin' lower is needed to make an AR pistol, but I'm not clear on that.

A lil help fellas!

Thanks!

if you are desperate to start playing with your new upper, Im sure ClassicCityFirearms can hook you up with a cheap polymer pistol lower

The lower has to have been made as a pistol lower, there is no changing rifle lower to pistol

Yeah once you go rifle you can't go back. It has to be registered as a pistol. Slick guns has pistol lowers for as much as $40. Even cheaper depends. I would send that form off ASAP since time has improved by 2 weeks shorter lol.

The lower has to have been made as a pistol lower, there is no changing rifle lower to pistol

Hhhmm, I thought the issue was the ability to add a stock to the lower... if it was setup with a "pistol" buffer tube it was a pistol lower... if it could except a stock, it was a rifle.... so, if you start with a stripped lower, it could do either way. Is this not correct? Can't the buffer tube be changed later... for example, create a pistol and use it... remove the "less than 16 inch" upper and add the buffer tube with stock and a 16+ upper to form a rifle? I only have rifles but have considered putting together a "pistol" and was going to start with a stripped lower.

Thanks

I thought the ATF put out a new letter saying that receivers sold as stripped receivers can bounce back and forth? I'll try and find it.

NVM if you had a completed lower that was sold as a lower even with the buttstock, be sure, it can be converted to a pistol if a 16" upper never was put on it.
i46.tinypic.com_jhadzk.jpg

There are two pages to this letter, that's just the important part.

Last edited:
1. You need a "virgin" lower that has never had a buttstock or a lower that is specifically marked as a pistol lower.
2. Just owning the short upper and having it in the same house as a full size AR without owning a pistol lower is enough to classify you as having illegally manufacturing an SBR in the eyes of the ATF. As an example if you own a glock and buy one of those KPOS stock kits, even if you NEVER ASSEMBLE IT the ATF still says you built an SBR and NFA rules apply/if you get caught you're going to jail.

Alright. This is my first dabble with the Class III world. I'm learning as I go here...

I had my stock 16" AR that I wanted to make into an SBR. I have already traded my upper for a 6.5 pistol upper and my Form 1 is about to be mailed...don't worry, the upper and lower can't even see each other in my house...

So my question is this...can I put a pistol buffer on my lower and use it as a pistol untill my stamp comes back? Or is that a whole other can of worms? I've seen somethin about a 'virgin' lower is needed to make an AR pistol, but I'm not clear on that.

A lil help fellas!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom